Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Maj. R Anderson Kaffrarian Rifles - possible split on DNW? 5 years 1 month ago #62623

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi

On the DNW sale last night was a group to Major R Anderson, who got the not too common combination of the Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal, QSA, KSA and Natal 1906. This was one of the last combinations of South African medals I was after so was happy to get it, but it cost be a bid more than I hoped for.

Now the thing is, there may be some medals missing.

The whole group can be seen here:
www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/n...ebellioon-1906-medal

The partial group can be seen here:
www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catal...id=493&lot_id=329028

Does anyone know this group, and know what the trio was, and if it belonged to him?

Cheers
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maj. R Anderson Kaffrarian Rifles - possible split on DNW? 5 years 1 month ago #62624

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
That is very worrying Ryan - someone has obviously split the group up - well spotted by the way - I had my eye on the group but it went a bit too far for me - I am now grateful that I didn't go for it hammer and tongs.

Are you happy with the bits you won or will you be able to seek redress through DNW? No mention was made of missing medals but once brought to their attention?.....

Rory

Maj. R Anderson Kaffrarian Rifles - possible split on DNW? 5 years 1 month ago #62625

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi Rory

I have found it, split as it is, in 2011 on an old DNW catalogue. So it has been split for a while.

So the question is, where did the picture on this site come from? He did serve in WW1, so it is a picture with dud medals just for show, or was it split prior to 2011?

I am less happy knowing it is split but it is already in the air on the way here, and since it goes back so long I doubt I can do anything unfortunately.

The group went a few hundred over my budget but since I was selling a few things on the auction I thought I would go for it!

Maj. R Anderson Kaffrarian Rifles - possible split on DNW? 5 years 1 month ago #62626

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
A pity but still a desirable thing to have.

I was quite shocked at the prices the SA-related groups went for - a tad on the high side I felt.

I was successful with the Natal Police group to Louis Caminada - also paid OTT but worth it. His father was the real-life Sherlock Holmes judging by his exploits in the Constabulary over in the UK.

Enjoy Anderson - who knows the trio might still come your way.

Rory

Maj. R Anderson Kaffrarian Rifles - possible split on DNW? 5 years 1 month ago #62627

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Ryan,

It was my brother and I who sold the larger group in 2011. I have pictures of the medals so will dig these out and post them here.
Dr David Biggins

Maj. R Anderson Kaffrarian Rifles - possible split on DNW? 5 years 1 month ago #62629

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
When we acquired thr group, it was missing the BWM. We added an unnamed original.

Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds