Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

"Upside Down" naming on the QSA 5 years 4 days ago #62941

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Interested forum members
In responding to a post regarding to a Distinguished Conduct medal group, DJB commented that "upside down" naming on the QSA was something of a rarity. Which rang a bell somewhere in a dusty corner!! Attached is a pic of a single clasp "Defence of Kimberley" QSA medal, impressed "upside down" to "Serjt: G.S. Ronaldson. Kimberley Town GD". The pair came with a K.Star; plus another pair to an apparent relative involved in the Mafeking Relief and later the FID.
The "upside down" DofK QSA is not renamed; the diameter is quite consistent. Both QSA and K.Star are in virtual mint state. I suppose anything can happen when such a large number of medals have to be named. However, I have not personally seen another "upside down" example on a QSA - although recall some time ago seeing a reference to another QSA so named on a Dealer's list.
Comments, anyone?
Regards
IL
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Upside Down" naming on the QSA 5 years 3 days ago #62942

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
A rarity indeed IL - have never the seen one before.

"Upside Down" naming on the QSA 5 years 3 days ago #62946

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
It is just a simple mistake and nothing more than that, I would be happy with it and I do feel it's value is unaffected as a result, generally speaking ,certainly not something you will encounter with QSA's.
Interestingly, one of my own colleagues found that his OSM had been named in that manner, upon being presented with it, certainly a most unusual talking point and a real novelty, as well as ending up the subject of a number of jokes!
Regards Frank

"Upside Down" naming on the QSA 5 years 3 days ago #62948

• LinneyI
Frank and others
I must have given a wrong impression; i.e., that I was somehow unhappy with the Ronaldson "upside down" named QSA. Quite the contrary. Indeed the naming is a good conversation point and in any case the Ronaldson family medals will make a good post whenever I get around to it.
Regards
IL.

"Upside Down" naming on the QSA 5 years 3 days ago #62949

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
I did not get any impression that you were in any possible way, whatsoever, unhappy and I don't blame you, I would be delighted with it, certainly nothing more than a simple mistake at Woolwich, made all those years ago, is the Star engraved?
Regards Frank

"Upside Down" naming on the QSA 5 years 3 days ago #62950

• LinneyI
Frank
The reverse of the K Star is quite plain. Indeed, I don't think either of the pair were ever worn much or at all. I would, however, like to see similar examples of "upside down" QSA naming if any forum members have them.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.618 seconds