TOPIC:

Meaning of codes after Clasp. 4 years 11 months ago #63587

• Kitty55
  • Kitty55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi
I've completely forgotten what all the codes mean after the clasp - i.e. RoL, T. TH, CC. etc. The only one I can remember is OFS - Orange Free State. I know they are for the battle the soldier fought in but that's it.
I've searched the topics but can't find anything so simple as what these mean.
I'm not a war historian or anything just want to know what they stand for, please.
And if there are more of them that I might come across whilst searching my town's soldiers what they mean also.
Can someone help this forgetful moron.
thanks and take care, Kitty
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Meaning of codes after Clasp. 4 years 11 months ago #63588

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Kitty
The "codes" are really just shorthand for the clasps in question. RoL means Relief of Ladysmith, T means Transvaal, TH means Tugela Heights, CC means Cape Colony. Others you might run into could be DofL (Defence of Ladysmith), DoK/RoK relate to the siege and relief of Kimberley, Dom/RoM relate to the siege and relief of Mafeking, J for Johannesburg, W or Wep for Wepener , DH for Diamond Hill, W or Witte for Wittebergen, B or Bel for Belfast, N for Natal and so on. The State clasps were issued for service in that particular geographic area, Specific clasps were awarded for action in a defined area. And then there are the Kings Clasps; South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. They were given for service within those years.
Seriously, never be afraid to ask questions on this Forum. The members are some of the most helpful you will ever meet on a long trek.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Kitty55

Meaning of codes after Clasp. 4 years 11 months ago #63591

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Kitty,

Building on IL's response, this page lists the clasp names in full and now includes the abbreviations used on this site.

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/b...s-south-africa-medal

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kitty55

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds