Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KIA Prince Alfred's Vol. Guard 4 years 11 months ago #63820

• Drakewood
  • Drakewood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
I have a QSA ,clasps Cape Colony & OFS, to a Lance Corporal George William Spearman, P.A.V G who was killed in action on 9th August 1900 near Middlesburg..
Beyond that, I have virtually no information other than the general details of the PAVG detailed on the site.
Spearman was killed, Tpr King was wounded and a couple more POW
Can anyone help regards details of Spearman or the action of the 9th August 1900 near Midlesburg please.
Thanks in anticipation
Drakewood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KIA Prince Alfred's Vol. Guard 4 years 11 months ago #63827

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Certainly a nice medal to actually have, annoyingly, the NAM's Register of Soldiers Effects only confirms his War Gratuity was charged in the Cape, the all important details of next of kin have not been filled in, a brief glance at Watt , suggests that Spearman was a Roman Catholic and was interred at Port Elizabeth Southend, with his name on a slate headstone,
I do hope that perhaps a member in South Africa might assist you further in due course.

Drakewood wrote: I have a QSA ,clasps Cape Colony & OFS, to a Lance Corporal George William Spearman, P.A.V G who was killed in action on 9th August 1900 near Middlesburg..
Beyond that, I have virtually no information other than the general details of the PAVG detailed on the site.
Spearman was killed, Tpr King was wounded and a couple more POW
Can anyone help regards details of Spearman or the action of the 9th August 1900 near Midlesburg please.
Thanks in anticipation
Drakewood

The following user(s) said Thank You: Drakewood

KIA Prince Alfred's Vol. Guard 4 years 11 months ago #63829

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Drakewood

Here is a memorial to his family in Port Elizabeth Cemetery, showing family and confirming his death etc.
In the Irish newspapers on about 14 August 1900, L/Cpl G W Spearman reported missing on 9 August 1900, in the same report Pvts King (Slightly wounded), Flanagan and Drury also missing.
Flanagan and Drury reported prisoners at Sherbourne (Sherborne), which is a farm between Middleburg and Colesburg, Eastern Cape, due North of Port Elizabeth and fairly near the OFS (ORC) border.

So it is likely that all in the same incident, near Middleburg, Eastern Cape on 8 or 9 August 1900 ?

Regards
Adrian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley, Drakewood

KIA Prince Alfred's Vol. Guard 4 years 11 months ago #63832

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
"On July 21, .....Prince Alfred's Guard was ordered back to Bethlehem and in an action on the way young George Spearman, who had just been promoted Lance-Corporal, was killed". PAG by Orpen, p107. Middelburg must have been the name of the farm where the action took place.
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley, Drakewood

KIA Prince Alfred's Vol. Guard 4 years 11 months ago #63840

• Drakewood
Hi Frank
Thanks for your prompt and informative replyYou were right, It's been determined by another Forum member that he was the son of an Irishman from Tipperery and is indeed buried at Port Elizabeth.
Yes I do actually have the medal; it's in EF/GEF condition and the naming is clearly impressed.
Again, many thanks
Les

KIA Prince Alfred's Vol. Guard 4 years 11 months ago #63842

• Drakewood
Hi Adrian
Great info and photograph, you've really opened up the story of young George Spearman - and the photo tells it all. Great stuff !!
Don't know if you have a particular interest in the burial places of the fallen of the Boer War but I have a number of casualties to the RB and the KRRC in the Defence of Ladysmith, Lombards Kop and Talana and wondered if you'd be interested in having a look at your data base to see if you have any details??
Bit of a cheek I know but if any come up trumps as in young Spearman, it would be great.
Thanks and best regards

Les.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds