Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

i recently was given these medals can some one give me some advise connaught 4 years 8 months ago #64669

• ARANTXA
  • ARANTXA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
one medal says 5565 P Doherty 1st connaught rangers bars transvaal relief of lady smith orange free state tugela heights cape colony
the other two are too 76663 DRV R J WALKER RFA TRAANSVAAL ORANGE FREE STATE CAPE COLONY THERE IS A FAINT DATES ON THE BACK OF THIS THAT LOOK LIKE ITS BEEN RUBBED OUT SOUTH AFRICA 1901 1902
ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT IS THE FIRST ONE MISSING A MEDAL
i CANT SEEM TO UPLOAD MEDAL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

i recently was given these medals can some one give me some advise connaught 4 years 8 months ago #64684

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Harry James Walker, an eighteen year old, from Bromley, joined the Royal Artillery in 1890, as 76663 Driver, he transferred to the Reserve in 1897, but, was recalled because of the Anglo Boer War being posted to the 65th Battery, RFA , he served in South Africa from the 7th of November 1899 until the 6th of September 1902.
In addition to his service as a Driver with the 65th, he went on to be posted to both the 38th and 68th Batteries whilst on campaign in South Africa.
His next of kin is shown as his father, Richard Walker of North Street Bromley Kent and his Wife, Anna, of who he married in 1896 at Clonmel, interestingly, "without" leave to do so.
He gave his intended place of residence upon his discharge as number 2 Cross Street Clonmel.
His pair and clasps are clearly verified upon his papers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

i recently was given these medals can some one give me some advise connaught 4 years 8 months ago #64686

• Frank Kelley
5565 P Doherty appears to have earned his medal and clasps in the 1st Battalion and would subsequently serve within the 2nd Battalion as a Mounted Infantryman, sadly, he did earn a KSA and is clearly shown on the roll in WO100/345.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

i recently was given these medals can some one give me some advise connaught 4 years 8 months ago #64701

• Frank Kelley
I forgot to mention the issue of the initial on Driver Walker's pair, upon looking at WO100/111 and WO100/307 you can see how a simple transcription error can happen, they should have had a letter H rather than a letter R impressed upon them, quite frankly, I really would not be too concerned if I were you, still a most handsome and very pleasing pair of medals.

i recently was given these medals can some one give me some advise connaught 4 years 8 months ago #64702

• ARANTXA
  • ARANTXA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello
Thank you so much for your replys it inspired me to look around the house at other stuff do you think you could give me some other info only when convenient I will put something in the legion tin for you I also have a lot of large photographs and paper work under the bed some where
the ones in the box I believe I was given bu the chap im 54 and was given them when I was very very small or by his widow who was very old in the house opposite ours in Fetcham Surrey (they had a stuffed dog that scarred me..His name was Granger or Grainger royal engineers I believe he mended cables but I can open the box
the pair in the box I have a diary Lieut G H Wylde (I think he was very well off )
thye last lot not sure where they came from I have an interst in ww1 but know nothing about Boar War they say A .Osborne RHA I couldn't find anything on the ww1 site for him
thank you

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 4.713 seconds