Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Warwick's Scouts & Cape Colony Cycle Corps - Lt. Gates 4 years 6 months ago #65936

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
I have acquired a QSA (C.C.& SA 1901) to a Lieutenant C.A. Gates who was the Paymaster with the the above outfit.

From the rolls I note that his had prior service with Warwick's Scouts (no. 39) and it is this unit that I would like to know more about. Does anyone have a medal to Warwick's Scouts or any information/photos of them?

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Warwick's Scouts & Cape Colony Cycle Corps - Lt. Gates 4 years 6 months ago #65938

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Rory,

There is background information on Warwick's Scouts here.

As you will have seen from the roll, very few medals were issued to them.

Here is one example:

BSACM for Rhodesia 1896 (Med. St. Corps.);
QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal, SA01 (Tpr. R. Hodges, Warwick's Scouts).

Spink 1976 £135
Dr David Biggins

Warwick's Scouts & Cape Colony Cycle Corps - Lt. Gates 4 years 6 months ago #65940

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
In May 2017, DNW sold the medals to Captain Warwick:

Picture courtesy of DNW

DSO VR with second award bar (see note below);
British South Africa Company Medal 1890-97, reverse Matabeleland 1893, 1 clasp, Rhodesia 1896 (Corpl. J. A. Warwick. Salisbury Horse);
Queen's South Africa 1899-1902, 3 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal (Capt: J. A. Warwick. Warwick’s Scouts.);
King's South Africa 1901-02, 2 clasps, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (Capt. J. A. Warwick. F.I.D.) naming re-engraved;
1914-15 Star (Major J. A. Warwick 1. Rhodn. Rgt.);
British War and Bilingual Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaf (Major J. A. Warwick.);
Jubilee 1935;
Coronation 1937

DSO London Gazette 19 April 1901: ‘John Abraham Warwick, Captain, Warwick’s Scouts. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa.’

Note: Despite mention in his obituary notice of his being awarded a bar to the DSO there is no evidence to support this.

John Abraham Warwick was born at Durban on 14 August 1871, son of Mark Warwick and Esther Linnell, both of Warwickshire. He was educated at St Cyprian's, Kimberley, and in Cape Colony, and served two years with the Bechuanaland Border Police, seeing active service in the Matabele War of 1893 and in the Matabele Rebellion of 1896. He served in the South African War, 1900-2, in Lieutenant Gifford's Horse and as Captain commanding a troop of Matabeleland Mounted Police, raised by himself for the duration of the war. He was mentioned in Despatches; received the King's Medal with two clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. The Insignia were sent to the Commander-in-Chief in South Africa, and presented there. Captain Warwick was Managing Gold Mining Commissioner in Rhodesia. He was a member of the firm of Macandrew and Warwick, Engineers and Contractors, Bulawayo, and acting as Intelligence Officer with the 1st Division, Western District, he led the section known as Warwick’s Scouts. His sister married Mr R H Henderson, CMG, who was the Chief Citizen of Kimberley when it was besieged by the Boers.

In 1914 he enlisted for service in German South West Africa, first being a captain with the 1st Rhodesia Regiment and later being promoted major and adding a bar to his D.S.O. (sic). In March 1917 he was permitted to resign his commission on taking an appointment under the Civil Administration in East Africa, becoming a Customs officer at Mombassa, where he remained until his death on 14 May 1937.

Warwick’s Scouts was a small body raised by Captain J. A. Warwick early in 1900, primarily for the class of work indicated by their name. They saw service in many parts of the seat of war. After the relief of Kimberley they operated with Lord Methuen in the Boshof and Warrenton districts of the Orange River Colony. They accompanied that General eastwards towards Lindley, and saw some fighting there at the end of May and in June. Along with the remainder of Lord Methuen's column they were railed from Kroonstad to Krugersdorp in the Transvaal on 12th July, and advanced with him in a pursuit of De Wet northward to Olifant's Nek, where there was some fighting which Warwick's Scouts had two casualties. After this the corps saw endless marching and skirmishing in the Western Transvaal. On 16th February 1901 when operating with Lord Methuen, Captain Warwick was seriously wounded in the severe engagement a Hartebeestfontein. Captain J. A. Warwick and Lieutenant H. Macandrew were both awarded the D.S.O. for their services. The medal roll for this unit contains the names of two officers and 43 NCOs and men.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Warwick's Scouts & Cape Colony Cycle Corps - Lt. Gates 4 years 6 months ago #65950

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Certainly from memory there are no extant rank and file papers here for Warwick's Scouts and unfortunately no papers for direct entry commissions into the SAMIF either, with the result that from a military point of view, you are dependent upon an officer having first served within the ranks of a Colonial unit in order to find papers.

Rory wrote: I have acquired a QSA (C.C.& SA 1901) to a Lieutenant C.A. Gates who was the Paymaster with the the above outfit.

From the rolls I note that his had prior service with Warwick's Scouts (no. 39) and it is this unit that I would like to know more about. Does anyone have a medal to Warwick's Scouts or any information/photos of them?

Rory

Warwick's Scouts & Cape Colony Cycle Corps - Lt. Gates 4 years 5 months ago #66372

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
I collected Mr Gates today - beautiful crisp naming on the rim. It's rather a pity he never lived to see or wear his medal - he drank himself to death at Naauwpoort on 22 November 1901.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Warwick's Scouts & Cape Colony Cycle Corps - Lt. Gates 4 years 5 months ago #66375

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Very clear naming and a lovely medal with a sad story.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.490 seconds