TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Guides 4 years 5 months ago #66260

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
There is something very appealing about QSAs to the Natal Guides. I am not sure if it is their role, unit size or the rank on the medal - or perhaps all three aspects?

From City Coins #70:

QSA (1) Natal (Serjt. G. Cowan Natal Guides)
EF R1,800 - 2,400 (R2,400 = GBP 130, AUD 230 or Can 212)

The QSA roll for the Natal Corps of Guides contains the following note in the column headed “Rank”: “Guide with honorary rank of Sergeant”.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Guides 4 years 5 months ago #66261

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
If you had £600 to spare in 2001

CMG b/b;
QSA (2) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith (Serjt. T. J. M. Macfarlane, Natal Guides)

Mentioned in Lord Roberts’ despatch dated 4 September 1901 and in General Buller’s final despatch which stated: “Early in the war a corps of guides was formed in Natal from colonists with local knowledge of the districts in which our forces were operating. These gentlemen rendered the greatest possible assistance. Foremost in every fight, always ready to undertake difficult or dangerous duties, they helped me equally in field operations, with supply, with transport, and in dealing with the Dutch inhabitants. To the Hon. T. K. Murray, C.M.G., at first, and latterly to Mr F. Struben, who were in charge, my principal thanks are due; but I am equally indebted to many others, among whom I must mention Mr F. Knight, the brothers Loxton, the brothers Alison, the brothers Whipp, the brothers Robinson, Mr Foster, Mr Macfarlane, Mr Godson, and Mr Otto Schwikkard, whose wonderful energy and great knowledge of transport details were invaluable.”

Macfarlane and three other members of the Natal Guides all received the CMG, whilst nine Guides were awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Thomas John Malcolm Macfarlane was born on 11 July 1859, son of John Macfarlane, Resident Magistrate at Weenen, Natal. He was an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and served during the war in South Africa 1899-1900 with the Natal Guides (despatches, CMG).

His wife, Agnes, who he married in 1893, was the daughter of Walter Macfarlane, late Speaker of the Legislative Council of Natal.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Guides 4 years 5 months ago #66262

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the July 2019 Spink auction:

Natal Guides: In the absence of an established Intelligence Department the Natal Corps of Guides was raised to fulfil this function in late 1899 and early 1900. It was organised by Major David Henderson, later to raise and run the Field Intelligence Department.

x635 Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 2 clasps, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith (Serjt: A. Vimpany. Natal Guides.)

Sold for £270.

Sold for R850 at City Coins #44, August 1996
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Guides 4 years 5 months ago #66266

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Amos Vimpany came into the Natal Guides by way of Murray's Scouts. He went on to serve with the Scottish Horse and added the Transvaal and SA 1901 clasps to his QSA.
During World War I he served in France with the 2nd South African Infantry and was awarded the MM (London Gazette 20/8/1918).

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Frank Kelley

Medals to the Natal Guides 4 years 5 months ago #66268

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Even with commission and wretched VAT, that certainly appears a bargain these days.

djb wrote: From the July 2019 Spink auction:

Natal Guides: In the absence of an established Intelligence Department the Natal Corps of Guides was raised to fulfil this function in late 1899 and early 1900. It was organised by Major David Henderson, later to raise and run the Field Intelligence Department.

x635 Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 2 clasps, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith (Serjt: A. Vimpany. Natal Guides.)

Sold for £270.

Medals to the Natal Guides 4 years 5 months ago #66309

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the 1999 Spink Catalogue:

QSA (1) Defence of Ladysmith (Serjt. W.E. Lovemore, Natal Guides)

In the absence of an established Intelligence Department the Natal Corps of Guides was raised to fulfil this function in late 1899 and early 1900. It was organised by Major David Henderson, later to raise the run the Field Intelligence Department. 39 members served through the Defence of Ladysmith.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds