Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Jiffy Bag Dance - Lt. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scouts 4 years 5 months ago #66540

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
I won this item at auction the other day..... Lieut. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scts.

Queen's South Africa Medal - Bars - Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and 1902

This was Edmund Sinclair, Regimental Number 23070, of Driscoll's Scouts. He is on the nominal roll for Driscoll's Scouts but he is at the bottom of the page (1) and there has been a lot of additional notes added which I cannot read..... (Even have a new set of glasses as well)…..

Does anyone have a better copy or are you able to read the wording that has been written.....

The seller stated "He apparently died on active duty on January 1, 1902, but I haven't found out how, although I suspect disease." I cannot find him on any casualty list that I have also cannot find him in "B.W. Services of Military Officers.....

Has there ever been a book written on Driscoll's Scouts that any one knows of??????

Thanks for anything you all can tell me in advance.....

I have FMP and cannot find him their either.....

Here are some photos, note the inverted apostrophe like on the Strathcona's medals....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jiffy Bag Dance - Lt. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scouts 4 years 5 months ago #66541

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Mike,
Have not seen a Driscoll's Horse QSA for a while. I had a look at the nominal roll and - apart from your notes - I see "(Lieut). 1/1/02 and (indistinct) "Died 30/6/02". If that is correct, then I would imagine he would not show in SAFF. There is a listing in SAFF for casualties after the signing of the Peace - but Sinclair is not there either.
I don't know of any book about Driscoll's Scouts; only what is written in Stirling and - of course - their activities as shown in Palmer/SAFF.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE

Jiffy Bag Dance - Lt. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scouts 4 years 5 months ago #66542

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
I would concur with IL. I think the nominal roll says he resigned his commission 30 June 1902, which is a common date for Driscoll's Scouts officers. He dies soon afterwards but outside the dates of the Boer War.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Jiffy Bag Dance - Lt. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scouts 4 years 5 months ago #66543

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There may well be an attestation paper for him too. I will look next time i go to the Archives, Mike.
Dr David Biggins

Jiffy Bag Dance - Lt. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scouts 4 years 5 months ago #66545

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Thanks lL.…….. That fills a few holes...….

And Thanks David, the attestation papers would be great if they exist.....

The assistance from you both is greatly appreciated...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Jiffy Bag Dance - Lt. E. Sinclair, Driscoll's Scouts 4 years 2 months ago #67706

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mike,

Everything comes to he ...

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds