Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

TRANSVAAL-ORANGE FREE STATE- RELIEF OF MAFEKING- RHODESIA 4 years 4 months ago #67111

• Brendan Card
  • Brendan Card's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all. I have been reading all the nice posts on this site for a while now and finally decided to join:) . I want to show this nice silver medal i got a couple of months ago. I still need to clean it up. It has four bars, TRANSVAAL-ORANGE FREE STATE-RELIEF OF MAFEKING-RHODESIA. On the side of the rim is written TPR: TR. PATERSON BRABARST HORSE. This medal does not have the ghost date on it. I tried to do some research on this medal but did not find any info

Kind Regards Brendan
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

TRANSVAAL-ORANGE FREE STATE- RELIEF OF MAFEKING- RHODESIA 4 years 4 months ago #67112

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Brendan
Welcome to the site. The roll of C. Squadron of the Rhodesia Regiment shows one "259 Tpr. Paterson, J.R." entitled to clasps Relief of Mafeking, Transvaal and Rhodesia on his QSA medal - with there being some question about entitlement to the clasp Orange Free State. There is a marginal entry which states Tpr. Paterson also served with 1st Brabant's Horse. This information comes from the "Relief of Mafeking medal roll" by Stan Kaplan. There might be some additional information on your man on the "Units" part of this site.
Assuming that everything is right with the medal, you might care to carefully clean it - or simply leave alone the patina of time. Don't worry to much about "Ghost Dates".
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brendan Card

TRANSVAAL-ORANGE FREE STATE- RELIEF OF MAFEKING- RHODESIA 4 years 4 months ago #67113

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2150
That is a beauty Brendan. Medal is to T Rutherford Paterson. All clasps as per your photo are confirmed. He also served with the Rhodesia Regiment which is where he qualified for the Rhodesia clasp (C Squadron, No. 259)

Should you want to part with it - send me a message......

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brendan Card

TRANSVAAL-ORANGE FREE STATE- RELIEF OF MAFEKING- RHODESIA 4 years 4 months ago #67114

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Welcome to the Forum Brendan and what a great way to start!

A fantastic medal and an unusual combination to Brabant's Horse.

I will look for his attestation paper when I next visit the National Archives in London.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

TRANSVAAL-ORANGE FREE STATE- RELIEF OF MAFEKING- RHODESIA 4 years 4 months ago #67117

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Welcome Brendan...… Very nice piece to add to the collection..... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.841 seconds