Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 weeks 4 days ago #96791

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1585
Andrew
According to Abbot's "Recipients of the DCM" book, the DoCLI were awarded eleven DCMs for South Africa 1899-1902. There are no citation details mentioned for your CSM Smith in Abbott's book, unfortunately.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grandrew2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 weeks 3 days ago #96797

• Grandrew2
  • Thank you received: 16
Many thanks for your kind reply. I suspected no citation as is usual for many Boer War DCM but it is useful to have it confirmed so I don't waste more time looking.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 weeks 3 days ago #96801

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1585
Andrew
A Regimental history for that period may well assist? You could also access his paperwork on a commercial site as there might be something there. And local newspapers could be another prospect.
Regards
IL..

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 weeks 2 days ago #96812

• Grandrew2
  • Thank you received: 16
Thanks IL
I have checked the usual commercial sites and uncovered the following. Most of his doings in the Boer War where found on this site as there is a good summary from the history of the 2nd DCLI
I post this to help others following a similar line of research and in the hope some reference to Henry may came up. With a surname like Smith searching newspapers can be a challenge. I was hoping to find out which Royal Park he was based but living in Kingston he could hop on a train in to the capital and be employed anywhere.Only specific London Parks got the 1911 Coronation Police Medal and he does not appear on the roll.
I am fairly sure he got his DCM and MIDs for Paardberg but I cant nail it. Maybe someone researching one of the other 2nd DCLI MIDs might uncover more

Many thanks

Andrew

Military Career

Henry joined the Army on 6 April 1886 and was posted to the DCLI as Private 2125 aged 18. He spent the most part of his Army career in the UK or Ireland until the Boer War and he was off to South Africa on the SS Formosa with the rest of the 2nd Battalion DCLI on 5 Nov 1899.

There is an account of the DCLI here: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...walls-light-infantry

He came back from South Africa on the 27 August 1902 on the SS Galician. Shortly after he was posted to the 2nd VB DCLI on 21 Oct 1902, presumably to the Permanent Staff till he had done his 21 years and was discharged on the 5th April 1907.

His discharge papers show he was MID LG 2 April 1901 and LG 4/9/01 and was awarded a DCM LG 4/9/01. He was also awarded a LSGC in 1904 to go with his 4 bar QSA (Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg and CC) and a KSA.
I subsequently found him in LG 10 Sept 1901 page 5943 Lord Roberts Despatch

War Office, May 17, 1901.
ERRATA.
The names and descriptions of the under- mentioned Non-commissioned Officer and men brought to notice for their services in South Africa in the Gazette of 8th February, 1901, are as now, and not as previously, stated:—
No. 2125 Colour-Sergeant H. J. Smith, 2nd Battalion, the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (page 849).

The LG 8 Feb 1901 Page 849 has the following entry for the 19th Infantry Brigade of which the DCLI were part

19th Infantry Brigade.
Lieutenant-Colonel and Brevet-Colonel (local Major-General) H. L. Smith-Dorien, D.S.O., Commanding 19th Brigade, rendered valuable and distinguished service on each occasion on which his brigade was engaged.
2nd Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
Major G. A. Ashby.
Captain P. M. J. D. Rhodes.
Captain G. B. M. Rawlinson.
Captain J. M. Mander.
1178 Colour-Sergeant D. Owen.
2135 Colour-Sergeant H. F. Smith.
1095 Sergeant F. J. Syrnons.
3058 Corporal H. Cooper.
3186 Corporal A. Bedford.
2840 Bugler C, Best.
2562 Private J. Thompson.
2757 Private B. Cole.
3630 Private Retallick.
5591 Private C. Haythorpe.

The LG 10 Sept 1901 Page 5943 has the following MIDs for the
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.
Major W. L. Harvey.
Captain F. M. J. D. Rhodes.
Captain G. M. B. Rawlinson,
Captain E. A. Shakerley.
Captain A. G. W. Grant.
Lieutenant H. Fargus.
Lieutenant R. M. Wetherell.
Lieutenant W. E. I. Butler Bowdon.
Lieutenant J. W. C. Kirk.
Quartermaster and Honorary Lieutenant W. H. Taylor.
Sergeant-Major C. Powers.
317 Quartermaster-Sergeant G. Humphrey. 3487 Colour-Sergeant F. J. Clemo.
859 Colour-Sergeant F. W. Deacon,
1178 Colour-Sergeant D. Owen.
2125 Colour-Sergeant H. J. Smith.
1095 Sergeant J. F. Symons.
3186 Corporal A. W. Bedford.
3058 Corporal H. Cooper.
399 Corporal J. Edgar.
1640 Private C. Adams.
2757 Private B. Cole.
4366 Private W. Sims.
2837 Private E. Smith.
2582 Private J. J. Thompson.
2676 Private C. Whitehouse.
5084 Private J. Williams.

DCLI Casualties for 18 Feb 1900, the Battle of Paardeberg
The losses of the Cornwall Light Infantry on the 18th were 3 officers killed — Colonel W Aldworth, DSO, and Captains Wardlaw and Newbury — 4 officers wounded; 12 men killed and 55 wounded.

The 19th Brigade, hastily thrown together, had done one of the most telling bits of work in the whole war.

He re-enlisted for WW1 at Bodmin on 11 Sept 1914 as 3/6202 in the DCLI. He was posted to the 7th Battalion on 27 Sept 1914 until 5 June 1915 and was discharged sick on 22 Oct 1915 with no overseas service. He was found to have TB and was in hospital at Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight.

Family Background
Henry was born on the 22 April 1867 in Birmingham
He married Annie Teresa Lonergan in Dublin on 27 April 1893 she died 14 Jan 1909. They had 5 children
Charles Henry 25 Feb 1894
Arthur James 7 June 1898
Florence Mary 25 June 1900
Edward George 13/7/1903
Edward F R (Garnet?) 2 May 1905
In 1939 Census he is noted as an Army Pensioner married to Esther (Born 25/4/79) living at 68 Wyndham Road Kingston
At the time of his death on 17th Jan 1946 due to acute Bronchitis he was living with his daughter at 20 Brunswick Road, Kingston

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds