Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 4 years 1 month ago #67913

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM VR (Sergt. G. Hilton. Sco: Gds. 8th. April 1898);
Sudan (9539 Sgt. G. Hilton. 12/ Bn: Sud: R.);
QSA (4) Belmont, Modder River, Driefontein, Johannesburg (Lieut: G. Hilton, D of C. L.I.);
AGS 1902 (2) Jubaland, Somaliland 1901 (2/Lieut. G. Hilton. D of C. L.I.);
1914-15 Star (Capt. G. Hilton. D.C.M. K.O. Sco. Bord.);
British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaves (Major G. Hilton);
Khedive’s Sudan 1896-1908, 2 clasps, The Atbara, Khartoum, unnamed as issued,

DCM London Gazette 15 November 1898.

George Hilton was born in November 1872 and attested for the Scots Guards in April 1892. He served during the Sudanese Campaign whilst attached to the Sudanese Regiment, Egyptian Army, and was present at the Battle of the Atbara, 8 April 1898, where he was wounded, Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 22 May 1898), and awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal; and at the Battle of Khartoum, 2 September 1898. Returning to his parent Regiment, he served with them in South Africa during the Boer War, and was present at the Advance on Kimberley, including the actions at Belmont, 23 November 1899; Enslin; Modder River, 28 November 1899; and Magersfontein. He was also present during the operations in the Orange Free State, including the actions at Poplar Grove; Driefontein, 10 March 1900; Vet River; and Zand River. Commissioned Second Lieutenant in the 1st Battalion, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry on 23 May 1900, he was present with his new Regiment in the Transvaal, including the actions near Johannesburg and Pretoria.

Remaining on the African continent, Hilton served in Somaliland from 17 January to 11 October 1901, and took part in operations against the Ogaden Somalis in Jubaland under the command of Colonel Ternan from January to April 1901; he also served during the operations against the Mullah Muhammed-bin-Abdullah in Somaliland under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Swayne from May to July 1901. Promoted Lieutenant on 1 January 1904, he was appointed Adjutant of the Volunteer Battalion (later Territorial Force) on 9 June 1906, continuing in this post for the next three years.

Hilton transferred as a Captain to the King’s Own Scottish Borderers on 17 April 1909, and served with them during the Great War on the Western Front from 7 December 1914. Twice wounded, he was Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 22 June 1915) and was awarded the Brevet of Major on 3 June 1915, before moving to the Staff as a General Staff Officer on 25 September 1915. Mentioned in Despatches in the 1916 New Year’s Honours’ List (London Gazette 1 January 1916), he served as Brigade Major from 18 May 1916, before returning to the U.K. as a Deputy Assistant Adjutant General at the War Office on 13 June 1917, moving over to the Air Board (later Air Ministry) on 4 February 1918. he retired on 7 September 1921.

Note: Only two DCMs were awarded to the Scots Guards for the Sudanese Campaign; one for the Atbara (Hilton’s), and one for Khartoum.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 4 years 1 month ago #67914

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg (2243 Col Sejt. J. T. Peplow, 2:D: of C: Lt. Inf:);
KSA (2) (2243 Clr:-Serjt: J. Peplow. D. of C.L.I.);
Army LS&GC Ed Vii (2243 Cr. Serjt. J. T. Peplow. D. of C.L.I.);
Meritorious Service Medal, GV (315709 R.Q.M. Sjt. J. J. Peplow. 15/Devon R.) note variations in initials

MSM London Gazette 3 June 1919: ‘In recognition of valuable service rendered in connection with the War.’

John Thomas Peplow was born in the Parish of Salop, near Wellington, Shropshire, and attested at Dudley for the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry on 29 June 1887, aged 18, a turner by trade. He served in South Africa from 5 November 1899 to 17 February 1903, the remainder at Home until his discharge in the rank of Acting Sergeant-Major on 26 June 1914. He apparently volunteered for service during the Great War with the 15th Devons but there is no record of entitlement to medals apart from the award of the MSM, presumably for work at Home.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 4 years 1 month ago #67915

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of DNW

DSO GV
[QSA (6)]
[KSA (2)]
[14 Star trio]

Together with the recipient’s Memorial Scroll named to ‘Lt. Col. Francis Holden Shuttleworth Rendall, D.S.O. Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (Commdg. 5th York & Lancaster.)

DSO London Gazette 16 January 1916.

Francis Holden Shuttleworth Rendall was born in 1879, and was educated at Eton. Originally commissioned Second Lieutenant in the 3rd and 4th (Militia) Battalions, South Staffordshire Regiment on 23 February 1898, he was promoted Lieutenant with the 4th Battalion before he transferred to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, Regular Army, on 20 May 1899, reverting in rank to Second Lieutenant. He served with the 2nd Battalion, D.C.L.I. and the 2nd Battalion, Mounted Infantry in South Africa during the Boer War, including operations in the Orange Free State, February to May 1900, including Paardeberg (17 to 26 February) and actions at Poplar Grove, Driefontein, Vet River (5 and 6 May) and Zand River; operations in the Transvaal in May and June 1900, including actions near Johannesburg, Pretoria and Diamond Hill (11 and 12 June); and operations in Orange River Colony, May to 29 November 1900, including actions at Wittebergen. He regained the rank of Lieutenant on 7 June 1900 and was reported missing in action after the Battle of Nooitgedacht on 13 December 1900, rejoining his unit ten days later. He was twice Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazettes 10 September 1901 and 25 April 1902) and received the Queen’s Medal with 6 clasps and the King’s Medal with 2 clasps.

Rendall was advanced Captain on 6 August 1904 and appointed Adjutant of the 5th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment), Territorial Force, on 30 September 1911, arriving in France with them on 14 April 1915. He obtained his Majority on 1 September 1915 and the following month was advanced to Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel, taking command of the 5th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment. For his services he was awarded the DSO.

On 6 July 1916, near Thiepval, during the Battle of the Somme, Rendall led two bombing parties from his Battalion, totalling seven officers and 80 other ranks, to capture a trench; of these only 22 other ranks returned, Rendall being left behind wounded in a German dugout. He died three days later on 9 July 1916 and is buried in Lebucquiere Communal Cemetery Extension, Pas de Calais, France.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 years 9 months ago #70122

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Coming back up for auction. Sold for £5,500 in July 2018.

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM VR (Sergt. G. Hilton. Sco: Gds. (8th. April 1898));
Queen’s Sudan (9539 Sgt. G. Hilton. 12/ Bn: Sud: R.);
QSA (4) Belmont, Modder River, Driefontein, Johannesburg (Lieut: G. Hilton, D of C. L.I.);
AGS 1902 (2) Jubaland, Somaliland 1901 (2/Lieut. G. Hilton. D of C. L.I.);
1914-15 Star (Capt. G. Hilton. D.C.M. K.O. Sco. Bord.);
British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaves (Major G. Hilton);
Khedive’s Sudan 1896-1908, 2 clasps, The Atbara, Khartoum
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 years 8 months ago #70383

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (675. Pte. W. Trenholm. 1/ D.C.L.I.) engraved in the usual running script associated with this Regiment;
QSA (1) Defence of Ladysmith (675 Pte. W. Trenholm. 1st. D. of C. Lt. Infty:);
KSA (2) (674 [sic] Pte. W. Trenholm. D. of C.L.I.)
mounted from a silver riband bar.

The DoL clasp to the DCLI is very rare. I have only recorded 7, all of who served away from their unit with No 11 Field Hospital.

2882 Sergeant Moore J Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (4) DoL OFS LN Belf
3991 Private Lane H Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (4) DoL OFS Tr LN
2789 Sergeant Nepean F N Y Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (5) CC DoL OFS LN Belf
4080 Private Allen William Charles Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (5) CC DoL OFS LN Belf
4153 Corporal Manfield J Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (2) DoL SA01
4617 Private Mason Horace Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (3) DoL Tr SA01
675 Private Trenholm William Barlow Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry QSA (1) DoL
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) 3 years 8 months ago #70494

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (2738. Pte. J. Day. 1/D.C.L.I.) engraved in the usual running script associated with this Regiment;
QSA (3) Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein (2738 Pte J. Day, 2nd D. Of C. Lt Infy)

J Day died of disease at Bloemfontein, 19 May 1900.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.889 seconds