Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the Medical Staff, Rhodesia Field Force 4 years 4 days ago #68961

• Nemo
  • Nemo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Hello Gentlemen

I wonder if any knowledgeable member could help me please? I have a QSA and KSA pair which has been in my possession for a number of years, which I obtained (as separate lots) from City Coins. It is the KSA which is perplexing me somewhat.

The medals were awarded to Pte J Speck. His QSA (with clasps Cape Colony, Modder River, and Wittebergen) is named to him as "Pte, Med Staff RFF" (Medical Staff Rhodesia Field Force). His 2-clasp KSA is named to him as "Pte Rhodesia Med Staff C". Booth are correctly named in impressed capitals.

His QSA is on the roll of "Cape stretcher bearers attached for duty with Medical Staff, Rhodesian Field Force". This roll was signed in Bulawayo 4th July 1901. His KSA is confirmed by a single-name entry on the "SA Irregulars attached to R F Force" roll, signed at the War Office 7 Feb 1905.

My research so far indicates that the Rhodesia Medical Staff Corps was not in existence until after the war. Could it be that the submission for the KSA was made when the unit was formed, and if so when was that? I have never seen another example, although other collectors may have done. Any assistance gratefully received!

Thanks

Nemo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Medical Staff, Rhodesia Field Force 4 years 4 days ago #68965

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi Nemo

During the Mashonaland rebellion in 1896,
The Medical Staff Corps is shown as a unit on the list of units distributed on 20 August 1896.

So I assume it existed thereafter.

Regards
Adrian

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Medical Staff, Rhodesia Field Force 4 years 4 days ago #68966

• Nemo
  • Nemo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Many thanks Adrian. Another piece in the jigsaw!

Nemo

Medals to the Medical Staff, Rhodesia Field Force 1 year 8 months ago #84887

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (2) Cape Colony, Rhodesia (Pte. G. S. Harding, Med: Staff R.F.F.)

WO100/224p175 confirms these two clasps and suggests SA01 was also awarded
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Medical Staff, Rhodesia Field Force 9 months 1 week ago #90871

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

The Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Officer’s breast badge, silver, in its Carrington & Co. fitted case of issue;
Jubilee 1897, silver, privately named ‘Surg. Capt. H. D. Buss, V.M.S.C.’;
QSA (2) Cape Colony, Rhodesia (Lieut. H. D. Buss. Med: Staff. R.F.F.) officially engraved naming;
KSA (2) (Capt. H. D. Buss. Rhod. F.F.) officially engraved naming.

Hon. Associate Member, Order of St John of Jerusalem, 27 February 1900.

Howard Decimus Buss was born in Camden, London, in April 1862 and studied at University College London, and at Paris and Montpellier, France, becoming LSA in 1884; MRCS in 1885; and BA and BSc. University of France in 1890.

He was appointed Surgeon-Captain, Volunteer Medical Staff Corps on 24 March 1897 (Queen’s Jubilee Medal 1897), and was attached to base hospital at Marandellas in Rhodesia when he joined the Rhodesian Field Force. He later served at the base hospitals in Tembuland and Bulawayo (Queen’s medal with (2) King’s medal with 2 clasps), and became MD Brussels in 1907; MRCP London in 1907; Assistant Medical Officer, Leper Asylum, Robben Island in 1913-14; and Assistant Physician, Mental Hospital, Fort Beaufort, in 1919.

During his career he held numerous other posts, both in Europe and South Africa, and he wrote many articles for Medical Journals.

Doctor Buss died at Fort Beaufort on 24 November 1919, aged 57.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Medical Staff, Rhodesia Field Force 2 weeks 1 day ago #95137

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 765
PTE. E.W.GLOVER, MED: STAFF R.F.F.

Queen's South Africa medal awarded to Private E.W.Glover.
Entitlement to the clasps CAPE COLONY and RHODESIA confirmed on Medal Roll to Medical Staff Rhodesian Field Force (WO100/224).

Impressed naming to the rim. Please note the lack of a regimental service number.

Impressed regimental naming to the rim.

A recent arrival, I was pleased to acquire this medal to the Rhodesian volunteers with the Rhodesia clasp.
On closer inspection of the Medal Roll, there were only a maximum of 75 QSAs awarded to the unit, hence an uncommon medal. None of this small corps were issued with service numbers

I am, at the present time, unaware of any form of attestation document for this man, and having difficulty in raising any further information on him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Having checked the relevant lists, I do know that he was not a Jameson Raider, nor a recipient of the British South Africa Company medal.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Sturgy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.807 seconds