Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA to Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #69282

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2147
I recently acquired the no-clasp QSA to E.F. Hopkins of the above. Research is difficult at the moment but it seems like Mr Hopkins, circa 1901, was the Sanitary Inspector for Heidelberg, Transvaal. If he was in the same capacity a year or even two earlier, he would have been a Transvaal Burgher.

I read somewhere that this small corps were made up of, primarily, ex Burghers or surrendered Boers - can anyone verify this and/or post any additional info on a little-known outfit.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #69284

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Rory,

Yes, that is what Stirling says: angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-...nits/2643-vellentins

I checked Tylden and he does not offer any more.
Dr David Biggins

QSA to Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #69285

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
They must have operated around Johannesburg to gain the title of Nigel Mine Guards.

angloboerwar.com/forum/6-places/28854-jo...rg-gold-fields#63999
Dr David Biggins

QSA to Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #69289

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
David

If you check the roll there are 2 distinct sections, the 2nd being noted as Nigel Mine Guards. The casualties for the unit all come from the first section which would appear to correlate with what is written, the Mine Guards, in my opinion were just that, similar to the Rand Rifles Regards
Jon

QSA to Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #69291

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2147
I don't know if I fully agree with that Jon. My chap is on, what I would term in your example, the first batch on the roll?

Attachments:

QSA to Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #69295

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Rory

WO100/281 Adobe Page Number 209 - 213 lists 62 names, including your man
This portion of the roll signed Heidelberg 28th August 1901, Major Vallentin Comdg Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers
The casualties for the engagement on 24th July 1901 at Braklaagte were Beck, Bouwer, Morrison, Nel, Schroeder, Struben, Van Eden, Van Emmenes.
Only Schroeder and Struben are found on the Nominal Roll and this portion of the medal roll.
All these men, except Schroeder and Struben, were executed by the Boers (according to notes in Watt's In Memorium)

WO100/281Adobe Page 214 - 218 lists 94 names
This portion of the roll signed Heidelberg 28th August 1901, Major Vallentin Comdg Nigel Mine Guards
None of the casualties appear in this section

There is a distinct difference in these two sections, clearly written by two different hands, with the 2nd portion being neatly written in alphabetical order and all men have a regimental number suggesting that these rolls were compiled by two different individuals, thus indicating two separate sections

All these anomalies leads me to believe the 1st portion were an active unit, taking part in scouting and patrolling, whilst the 2nd portion were attached to protect the mines in nearby Nigel, hence the name, but they all fell under the command of Major Vallentin and the unit being Vallentin's Heidelberg Volunteers.

Regards
Jon

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds