There were quite a few more distinctive hatbands or pagris. The Cape Colonial Forces introduced smasher hats in the 1890s, and a number of units adopted their own pagris, which were duly put into their dress regs. Those that I know of were :
- Bechuanaland Rifles : dark green (1898).
- Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles : dark red and buff in diagonal stripes (1898).
- Stellenbosch Mounted Infantry : blue (1894).
- Transkei Mounted Rifles : blue and white spotted (1898).
- Worcester Volunteer Rifles : "scarlet and yellow twisted hatband" (1898).
Mounted Rifle Clubs
- X (N'Cera) MRC : blue with white spots (1898).
- XI (Kei Road) MRC : blue with white spots (1897).
- XIV (Prince Alfred's Hamlet) MRC : white (1898).
- XVIII (Lower Albany) MRC : white and scarlet (1898).
- XXIII (Nqamakwe) MRC : blue and red spots (1898).
- XXV (Engcobo) MRC : dark green (1898).