Medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 3 years 10 months ago #69582

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517

Picture courtesy of Warwick and Warwick

IGS 1854 (1) Hazara 1891 (2323 Pte J. Burridge 1st Bn R. W. Fus,);
QSA (6) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, OFS, South Africa 1901 (2323 Corl J. Burridge R: Welsh Fus,);
BWM and Victory Medal (13286 A.W.O. Cl 2 J. Burridge R.W. Fus.)

He served Hazara 12 Mar - 16 May 1891, passed a course on Stretcher Drill in Peshawar 15/3/92, recalled as reservist 18/10/99, landed France 20/7/15, star was returned for amendment.

Thought to be the same man, with 1951 copied newspaper obituary: Mr Joseph Burridge, late of Swansea died at Wells after a breakdown in health. Mr Burridge who was 79, had farmed in Wales for some time and later held a managerial post in one of the metal works in Swansea. He joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in 1889 and served throughout the North West Frontier War, for which he held the Hangara (sic) Medal and clasp. He also served through the South African War, winning the Queen Victoria Medal and six bars, and the King Edward VII with two bars. In the 1914 War he reached the Rank of Regimental Sergeant Major, and was in France until invalided out in 1916

He is on the QSA and supplementary rolls only.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 3 years 10 months ago #69592

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I've always liked and admired this regiment, particularly when it remained extant, the Anglo Boer War period must have seemed a very steep learning curb for the both it's regular battalions, with the matter of Natal as well as the show in China about to start.

Medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 3 years 4 months ago #73200

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

Near Paardeberg Drift, 28-29 April 1901

“The convoy got safely across, and we camped at a pan of water in the flats. About an hour after camping, some of the officers, among whom was the captain of the New Zealand squadron, said they were anxious to see Cronje’s last stand, and whether, if permission was granted by Major Paris, I would go with them. I agreed, and shortly after saw Major Paris, who said he would allow them to go, providing I went in command. I agreed, and we started about 2pm. One captain of the 4th Scottish Rifles, staff officer to Major Paris, also accompanied us. We reached the memorable camp of General Cronje about an hour later, and after placing a couple of lookouts on points of vantage, I allowed the party to scatter and look for curios. We were about sixty-five all told, chiefly New Zealanders, scouts, and some Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who were attached to me under Lieutenant Holroyd. After spending about half an hour, I gave orders to return- the column had meanwhile gone on—and after some little difficulty got the party collected, and we started back through the river, when I at once extended the men and sent out the necessary scouts. When almost opposite Kitchener’s Kop (so called, being the position held by Lord Kitchener during the shelling of Cronje’s camp and trenches along the river banks), firing was reported on our left, and shortly after I noticed two of four men, New Zealanders, I had sent forward on our left point coming on at a gallop…”
‘A Fight to a Finish” by Major C G Dennison.

“Were with a patrol of about 60 men. Hearing that the left flank was being attacked, Captain Dennison rode out to it. About 60 of the enemy cut them off, and they eventually surrendered.”
“SA Surrenders” (WO108-372).

According to the SAFF Casualty Roll one man was killed and Captain Dennison and 4 men (one of them severely wounded) were taken prisoner. One of the prisoners, a New Zealander, 2634 Tpr Frank Perham covered the incident and his early release by the Boers in a book “The Kimberley Flying Column”.

QSA (5) CC, TugH, RoL, Tvl, OFS (5307 Pte. C. Dickens. R. Welsh Fus.)
[ KSA ]

Pte Dickens was severely wounded but not taken away with Captain Dennison.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2 years 10 months ago #76684

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1854 (2) Burma 1885-7, Hazara 1891, top lugs removed from first clasp, the second clasp loose on riband as a consequence (817. Pte. W. Yates 1/R. Welsh Fus:) engraved in upright serif capitals in the style associated with the Perak clasp;
QSA (2) Cape Colony, Transvaal (817 Pte. W. Yates, R. Welsh Fus:)

William Yates was born at Whitechapel, London and attested for service with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 20 October 1884, declaring prior service with the 4th (Militia) Battalion the East Surrey Regiment. He served in India and Burma from 1885, until he was discharged to the Army Reserve on 26 January 1892, and embarked for the UK at Karachi in HMT Serapis. He was recalled from the Reserve on 1 February 1900, and embarked for South Africa 10 February 1900, seeing further service during the Boer War until he was again discharged on 12 April 1902.

Hazara 1891 and Burma 1885-7 clasps confirmed on rolls. Supplementary QSA roll confirms additional entitlement to the clasps, Orange Free State and South Africa 1901.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2 years 10 months ago #76748

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1854 (1) Hazara 1891 (2482 Lce. Corpl. A. Dawson 1st. Bn. R.W.Fus.);
QSA (5) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (2482 Col. Sej: A. Dawson R: Welsh Fus:)
[ KSA (2) WO100/327p104 ]

Arthur Dawson was born near Manchester and attested for service in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Wrexham on 31 May 1889. He was appointed a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 17 February 1890, and was advanced to Colour Sergeant on 2 December 1889. He served in India for over 7 years and participated in the Hazara Expedition of 1891, and then served in South Africa during the Boer War, also receiving KSA (2).

He was discharged on 30 May 1902.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2 years 10 months ago #76759

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (1946 Corl. J. O’Brien, R: Welsh Fus:);
KSA (2) (Corpl: J. O’Brien. Rl: Welsh Fus:);
Army LS&GC EdVII (1946 Sjt. J. O’Brien. R.W.F.)

J. O’Brien attested for the Royal Welsh Fusilier and served with them in South Africa and India. Appointed acting schoolmaster at Fort Attock 19 March 1893, he was promoted Corporal on 9 April 1893.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds