Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

10th Mountain Battery-Bombadier. Alfred Bailey-Seige of Ladysmith 13 years 1 week ago #300

• elandslaagte
  • elandslaagte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
18159- Bombadier Alfred Bailey was killed on the 22 December 1899 . H.W.Nevinson book Ladysmith: The diary of the Seige Page 187/188.Quotes" But the morning routine was changed.Having waked me up as usual with the crash of shells close by on my left, the gun was turned down town, smashed into a camp or two without damage, and then suddenly whipped round on his pivot and sent a shell straight into the Gloucester lines, about 300 yards away to my right. It pitched just on the top traverse at the foot of the low hill now held by the Devons. The men were quite off their guard,busy with breakfast and sharing kettles.In an instant five lay dead and twelve wounded. The shell burst so close that the three of the dead were horribly scorched....".He was buried in the Ladysmith cemetery on the 23 December 1899,Grave8,L.Section Bx2.It would seem that Bombadier Bailey was the only 10 Mountain Battery casualty in Ladysmith (other casualties would be the action at Nicholson's Nek. 30 Oct 1899)

Sergeant. James Lyon-50538- would seem to have been wounded by the very boer shell that resulted in Bailey's death.Defence of Ladysmith (severely wounded 22 Dec 99)
Source: DCM recipients-Wonder for what action Lyon was award for the DCM?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 10th Mountain Battery-Bombadier. Alfred Bailey-Seige of Ladysmith 13 years 1 week ago #314

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Here are the medals of another 10th Mountain Battery soldier, who was much more fortunate that Alfred Bailey.

94259 Corporal Christopher Stanley Mizon, 10th Mountain Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.
QSA (Cape Colony, Defence of Ladysmith, Orange Free State, Transvaal).

6676 Corporal Christopher Stanley Mizon, 10th South African Infantry.
War Medal and Victory Medal.

Stanley Mizon was born in about 1872. His British records have not been accessed, but papers in South Africa record nine years service in the Royal Artillery, evidently in the RGA Mountain Batteries for the entire time. He survived the Nicholson's Nek debacle and the Siege of Ladysmith. He apparently did not qualify for either the KSA or date clasps on his QSA.

He settled in South Africa after the war. He was married and had nine children. One son served with the Cape Garrison Artillery during World War I and two others served in World War II.

During the former war, Christopher Mizon served in German East Africa in "C" Company, 10th SA Infantry. Like most South Africans in this campaign, he contracted malaria and was eventually repatriated and discharged as medically unfit. He was awarded the Silver War Badge and King's Certificate (No. 2964).

In spite of this, Mizon lived a long life and died in 1954, aged about 82 years.

Attachments:

Re: 10th Mountain Battery-Bombadier. Alfred Bailey-Seige of Ladysmith 13 years 1 week ago #317

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Brett,

A quick look at the QSA roll confirms the 4 clasps (WO100/146p72) but there is nothing in the comments section to say why he did not continue to serve in the RGA. He does not appear on the KSA roll.

Under the Service Records 1760 - 1913 on FindMyPast, there is an entry for your man:

MIZON Christopher 1872 Haverhill, Suffolk

This can be viewed on line if you have a subscription?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: 10th Mountain Battery-Bombadier. Alfred Bailey-Seige of Ladysmith 13 years 1 week ago #318

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Elandslaagte,

The DCM Book says Lyons' DCM was LG 19 Apr 01, Army Order 163/01 and that it was for the Defence of
Ladysmith.

He was included in White's Ladysmith MID of 23 Mar 1900:

Royal Garrison Artillery-No 10 Mountain Battery: Sergeants J Roxburgh, J Lyons, G French; Gunners E Greenfield, W Shields, B Greenwood, E Holtham, T Woods.

The LG entries give no details of the award:

I'm not sure of the criteria for awarding DCMs to Roxburgh and Lyons but not to French?

Here's a picture of the 10th 'Mule' Battery from the Illustrated London News, Nov 1899:

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: elandslaagte

Re: 10th Mountain Battery-Bombadier. Alfred Bailey-Seige of Ladysmith 13 years 6 days ago #320

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David

Many thanks for the Mizon information. I should subscribe to the UK sources of useful imformation. It would be a bold step for a computer dinosaur.

Regards
Brett

Re: 10th Mountain Battery-Bombadier. Alfred Bailey-Seige of Ladysmith 13 years 6 days ago #321

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

I think you do yourself a grave injustice!

If you can wait a little while, I'll request the papers the next time I go to the Archives.

I was surprised to find his Service Papers on FindMyPast because of his Great War service but then I remembered this was not with the Imperial forces.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds