Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte Kavanagh – Royal Dublin Fusiliers – DCM at train incident / Churchill 3 years 6 months ago #72376

• Jon
  • Jon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
In the book “The 2nd Batt RDF in the South Africa War” it is stated, after the account of the train incident on 15 November 1899 where Winston Churchill was captured, that “Private Kavanagh afterwards received the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his gallantry on this occasion”.
His full details being Private 5256 Martyr Kavanagh – 2nd Batt RDF. He was reported as missing in the telegram despatched immediately after the incident and was taken as a prisoner, with Winston Churchill, to Pretoria. He was held as prisoner until 6 June 1900 when nearly 3000 prisoners were released at Waterval (near Pretoria). He was mentioned in despatch (LG 10/09/1901 page 5951) and awarded the DCM (LG 27/9/1901 page 6320).
Winston Chuchills well publiscised escape and subsequent celebrity status helped win his election as an MP in 1900 (having failed the year before). He thus entered politics and the rest, as they say, is history.
I’m still researching Martyr Kavanagh so if anyone has more details please share.
The Royal Dublin Fusiliers suffered three killed in action: Privates 5031 J. Burney, 5861 E. McGuire and 5792 M. Balfe and are buried by the railway. In addition 5263 Private C. Johnstone died of his wounds at Estcourt on 22 November.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte Kavanagh – Royal Dublin Fusiliers – DCM at train incident / Churchill 3 years 6 months ago #72385

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Jon,

I cannot see much information about your man. There are no service papers and, while there are many references to Kavanagh in the site's books, these, other than Romer and Mainwaring, are largely Major/Lt Colonel Kavanagh.

I would imagine there might have been pictures of when he received the DCM from the Duke of Connaught? It sounded like quite an event.

The Irish Times reported the home-coming on 14 November 1903. The paper is online but access is chargeable.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon

Pte Kavanagh – Royal Dublin Fusiliers – DCM at train incident / Churchill 3 years 6 months ago #72387

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
It looks like it is only £1 for the first month or £2.50 per week. www.irishtimes.com/subscribe/uk
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds