Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South African Constabulary-Defence of Kimberley and Paardeberg Clasps 12 years 11 months ago #319

• elandslaagte
  • elandslaagte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

391- 2nd Cl Tpr. John Avionsmith O'Brien was a member of the Kimberley Light Horse. His medal is issued to the "South African Constabulary". Medal roll Kimberley Town Guard WO 100/282, shows KLH and SAC. The unusual QSA clasp combination makes for some interesting reading.It appears that immediately after raising of the Siege, a message was sent from General Kitcheners H.Q. in the Paardeberg area to Col. Kekewich calling for urgent supplies of bread. De Beers ovens immediately set to work. In due course a convoy of wagons loaded with bread set off from Kimberley to Paardeberg. A guard of 73 men of the Kimberley Horse and 3 men of the Cape Police was detailed to accompany the convoy. They got through without mishap. The Colonials only spent 1(one) night at Paardeberg. The next day after delivering the supply of bread they returned back to Kimberley after having an exiting and daring evening alongside the Highland Brigade.

An article written by Upfill- Brown of a participant makes interesting reading. The participant was Louis Samuel Glover (1875 to 1973) who served throughout the siege as a Trooper in the Kimberley Light Horse......interesting reading!!

Of the total number of Paardeberg clasp's awarded to the defenders, 30 went to members of the Remington's Guides who were recruited at Kimberley immediately after the town's relief. One such recruit was Frederick Hugh Damant who later commanded the unit under the title of Damant's Horse.

John O'Brien went onto serve in WWI. His Bil. Victory medal is nor shown in the photo however, the medal is in my collection named to the SAVR. Star named to 7 S.A.I.
The Kimberley Star was not included when the medal was received from the family.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: South African Constabulary-Defence of Kimberley and Paardeberg Clasps 12 years 11 months ago #322

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Elandslaagte,

This is a lovely combination of clasps and highlights an omission in my Kimberley roll. I see from the supplementary roll for the SAC that he is also entitled to the SA01 clasp having been discharged 12 Dec 01 (WO100/273p315).

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds