Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Yorkshire Tribute to 32408 G. Naylor 3 months 2 weeks ago #93883

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 313
I recently acquired this Yorkshire Tribute Medal to 32408 G. Naylor.

32408 Pte. George Naylor was born in 1882 in York, Yorkshire, England. He was the son of George Naylor (of 5 Union Terrace, York), a builder, and Elizabeth ?. He was baptized in St. Thomas in York on 30 July 1882. He later served in the 1st East Yeomanry Volunteer Artillery (York) before he joined the Imperial Yeomanry in Doncaster on 5 March 1901. He was stationed at Home from 5 to 22 March 1901, then in S. Africa from 23 March 1901 to 24 August 1902 and then home again from 28 August to 3 Sept. 1902 when he was Discharged after serving one year and 183 days. FmyP stats he served with 55 (Northumberland) Company, 5 Btn; 110 (Northumberland) Co., 2 Btn. With the Base Depot Imperial Yeomanry.

If anyone knows where his QSA is located, I would appreciate it if you would contact me as I'd like very much to reunite them. Thanks in Advance. John

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yorkshire Tribute to 32408 G. Naylor 3 months 2 weeks ago #93895

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
I think the transcription record on FindMyPast may be in error regarding the unit he served in. His full set of paperwork can be found on Ancestry and shows he served in the "Yorks Imp Yeo":

The Ancestry transcription record that goes with it says he served in the 111th Company IY also known as the "Yorkshire Dragoons". Based on the couple of dozen members of the 111th I have checked out his dates in South Africa agree with him serving in the 111th.

Also if he had served with a Northumberland unit he would not have qualified for the Yorkshire Tribute medal see:

www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/2...als/y/4745-yorkshire

Attachments:

Yorkshire Tribute to 32408 G. Naylor 3 months 2 weeks ago #93905

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
Hello John and David,

The attestation paper indicates an intention to serve with one of the Yorkshire companies of Imperial yeomanry but does not prove that he did so. He was allocated to the Base Depot Staff Imperial Yeomanry at Elandsfontein and appears on the medal roll for the base depot. Ancestry have mistranslated the entry as G, Maylor but his number matches up with the attestation papers.

The medal roll indicates that he subsequently served with the 55th Coy and was discharged from the 110th Coy. The Tribute from Yorkshire Medal 1901-02 was not entirely confined to men who served with the 3rd IY and I have other examples named to men who served with other IY companies, the only (nearly) common factor being that they attested in Doncaster and often expressed a desire to serve with the Yorkshire Yeomanry. I would dearly like to find a document indicating how the men to receive the medal were selected and a nominal roll of those men. Tributes to men who served with the Nottingham companies of the 3rd IY exist but the examples I have seen are to men who attested in Doncaster and some of whom expressed a desire for the Yorkshire companies.

Good luck with finding Naylor's QSA. I will keep an eye out.

Paul
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Smethwick

Yorkshire Tribute to 32408 G. Naylor 3 months 2 weeks ago #93911

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 313
Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the copy of the medal roll. I appreciate it very much! Yes, over the years I've run across the odd YT & QSA pairs to Yorkshiremen who served in non-Yorkshire regiments. I think I've seen two over the last 40 years. Interestingly, Naylor's service papers indicate he was entitled to the typical five (5) clasp QSA as most often encountered when dealing with Yorkshire Hussars or Dragoons medals, which are CC, OFS, TR, SA01 & SA02. Oddly, no where on his service papers does it mention specifically which company he served in. I also have a Birkin's book, History of the 3rd Regiment Imperial Yeomanry, 28-1-00 to 6-8-02 ,and he is not on any of the rolls. It's not definitive, but it's pretty good for giving an almost complete list of those who served in the 3rd Battalion IY. It goes to show that despite the paperwork/service papers etc. are for the most part accurate, there are historical bureaucratic issues that make doing research on medal recipients awkward and difficult.

I also have a most interesting scrape book that was made by a relative of 1981 Trooper E. Stanley Jones, 11th Co, 3rd Btn. IY that dates from January 1900 to December 1902 in which there are lists of the YHs and YDs embarking to, and returning from S. Africa. Naylor is not listed, which is evidence that he served in another company of the IY. Interestingly, there is an article dated 5 September 1901 entitled "Presentation of War Medals" by Earl Roberts at the Fulford infantry barracks. According to the article, 1,429 officers and men paraded in four columns and received their medals. The following are the approximate Numbers of contingents which received QSAs: Officers (followed by) other ranks:

Staff Officers 6,0
1st Provisional Regiment of Dragoons 4, 57
Royal Artillery 4, 40
1st Vol. West Yorkshire RE 1, 18
2nd West Yorkshire RE 0, 18
Army Service Corps 1, 5
Army Ordnance Corps 0, 3
Army Pay Corps, 0, 3
Imperial Yeomanry Staff 0, 1
Yorkshire Yeomanry, 7, 302
West Yorkshire Regiment, 0, 50
West Yorkshire Volunteers, 4, 105
East Yorkshire Regiment, 0, 13
East Yorkshire Volunteers, 1, 36
St. John Ambulance Corps, 0, 2
Yorkshire Regiment, 1, 48
Yorkshire Regiment Volunteers, 1, 86
West Riding Regiment, 0, 62
West Riding Volunteers, 2, 101
Yorkshire LIght Infantry, 0, 8
Yorkshire Light Infantry Volunteers, 2, 113
York and Lancaster Regiment, 0, 44
York and Lancaster Volunteers, 5, 93
Total of 38 officers and 1,256 other ranks.

The reporter wrote, "Then began the long and tedious ceremony of handing out the 1,429 medals." and further that "The County Commemorative Medal was presented to the Imperial Yeomanry by Lord Herries, Chairman of the County Equipment Committee, immediately after the presentation of War Medals." Although this indicates that the 3rd IY were awarded the commemorative medal, the fact that there are some YT & QSA pairs to non 3rd IY men is evidence that it was not solely awarded to the 3rd IY. If anyone has one of those medals, pairs or groups, it would be helpful to post that information. : )

Page three of Naylor's service papers.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.668 seconds