TOPIC:

Natal Native Rebellion Medal Trooper RT Bluett 2 months 3 weeks ago #94116

• Nek_trum
  • Nek_trum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hello Forum

I have recently purchased A Natal Rebellion Medal to Trooper RT Bluett (no Clasp). I am struggling to find any records of him down the conventual route. When researching my family's QSA medal it was relatively straight forward. As this is my first NNR medal to a local resident nothing is coming up can anyone point me in the right direction.

Regards Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Native Rebellion Medal Trooper RT Bluett 2 months 3 weeks ago #94117

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Hello Phil

Welcome to the forum . Information from this site for your records

Regards
Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nek_trum

Natal Native Rebellion Medal Trooper RT Bluett 2 months 3 weeks ago #94118

• Nek_trum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Dave

So this confirms he was on the rolls. :) Is there any way of getting his service records for his time with the Mounted rifles?

Regards Phil

Natal Native Rebellion Medal Trooper RT Bluett 2 months 2 weeks ago #94182

• Nek_trum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi All

I have completed my research on Trooper Bluett… for your interest.

Corporal Richard “Dick” Tennison Bluett 11023. Imperial yeomanry and Transvaal mounted rifles. His father was Richard Tennison Bluett Snr and his mother was Emily Barbara Francis Bluett they live in Carlingford south of Belfast. He attested for one year’s service in the Imperial Yeomanry in Belfast on the 7th February 1900 aged 20 years old.

Dick was awarded the Queens South Africa medal and the following clasps.
CAPE COLONY, RHODESIA, ORANGE FREE STATE, SOUTH AFRICA 1901

He was discharged a corporal on 15th June 1901 and returned to Northern Ireland.

He decided to go back to South Africa some time before 1905. For gold mining opportunities. He joined the Transvaal mounted rifles.

Trooper Bluett was involved in The Bambatha Uprising. The Bambatha Uprising was a Zulu revolt against British rule and taxation in Natal, South Africa, in 1906. The revolt was led by Bambatha kaMancinza (ca. 1860-1906), leader of the amaZondi clan of the Zulu people, who lived in the Mpanza Valley, a district near Greytown, KwaZulu-Natal.

The Natal Native Rebellion Medal was a South African campaign medal. It was authorised on 9 May 1907, for service in the Bambatha Rebellion in Natal in 1906. To qualify for the medal, a soldier or policeman must have served in the field for at least twenty days between 11 February 1906 and 3 August 1906. Those who served for fifty days or longer qualified for a clasp with the medal.

546 medals were awarded to volunteers from the Transvaal Colony which Dick was one of them.

In 1909 Dick emigrated to Canada. Dick brought the horse he rode in the war to Canada with him. He married Sarah Elizabeth Lee and homesteaded at D'Aarcy and He also homesteaded at Meadow lake in the Mann Creek district. He passed away November 1st 1964 aged 83.

Saskatoon newspaper:
Obituary
BOER WAR VETERAN PASSES

The death occurred in a Saskatoon hospital on Sunday, Nov. 1st after a long illness of Richard Tennison Bluett. Born in Carlingford, Ireland, May 28th., 1880 be enlisted and served in the Boer War with great distinction. Upon his release from the army he engaged in gold mining in South Africa for a number of years. He came to Canada in 1909 and homesteaded at D'Aarcy. He came to Meadow Lake 34 years ago end homesteaded in the Mann Creek district.

He was predeceased by his wife the former Sarah Elizabeth Lee in 1953 and since that time he has made his home in Meadow Lake. The late Mr. Bluett was one of Saskatchewan's oldest Masons having joined the order over 64 years ago. He had no immediate family.

Funeral services were held Friday, November 6th at 2 P.M. from Holy Trinity Anglican Church where he had been an active worker for many years. The funeral was conducted by Rev. C.A. Lloyd assisted by Rev. I. Graham a personal friend from Prince Albert.~ Pallbearers were; G. Weeks, W. Midgett, F. Snyder, G. Malinowski, R. Johnson and J. Rutz. Interment took place in the family plot in Woodlawn Cemetery. Jackson's Funeral Home was in charge.

Regards Phil
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Rory, Moranthorse1, Sturgy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds