Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Capt. G.K.M. Hutchinson 23rd I.Y. & 7th Bn. D.C.L.I (in WWI) 1 month 15 hours ago #96711

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2230
Now that I am gainfully employed, there is little time to post about medals but a few interesting pieces/groups have come my way lately.

George Knight Macgowan Hutchinson was a Chemical Instructor and Headmaster by profession. He served in the 23rd (Duke of Lancaster's) Imperial Yeomanry and wrote a very detailed letter home to his father which was published in the press. It concerned, in the main, the desperate fight his company had at Faber Spruit in May 1900. He was commissioned as a Captain in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and saw service on the Western Front as Company Commander of B Company at Ypres. Controversially, he was asked to resign his commission on the grounds of being unfit to command men in the frontline and being "shifty" - something he strenuously denied. He returned to the front as a Corporal with a R.E. Special Battalion involved with Gas Warfare (being chemically trained it was a natural fit.)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Capt. G.K.M. Hutchinson 23rd I.Y. & 7th Bn. D.C.L.I (in WWI) 1 month 14 hours ago #96712

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 832
Hi Rory,
Thanks for sharing Hutchinson. Work seems to get in the way of the more interesting things in life doesn't it!
Your employers gain and our loss!
Cheers Steve

Capt. G.K.M. Hutchinson 23rd I.Y. & 7th Bn. D.C.L.I (in WWI) 1 month 14 hours ago #96714

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2230
Thanks Steve

I'll post anon, the medal I got from you - Emil Haselan - better known as Haselau (the army transcribing clerks have a lot to answer for). I was able to find out quite a bit about him.

All the best

Rory

Capt. G.K.M. Hutchinson 23rd I.Y. & 7th Bn. D.C.L.I (in WWI) 4 weeks 1 day ago #96733

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 832
Hi Rory,
Glad to hear that you have made further headway with Emil Haslan(u).
There is a little bit I posted on the 'Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard ' page on the forum.
I gave him his honourable discharge as the medal was not named to the Bodyguard.
Look forward to seeing what you have found out about him.
Cheers Steve

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds