Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2nd Imperial Light Horse - TJ Cavanagh 11 years 11 months ago #3339

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2159
Cavanagh was an interesting chap for all the wrong reasons.... having enlisted with his father Charles in the 2nd I.L.H. he saw service in the Anglo Boer War - it was his shenannigins back in civvy street that draw attention after his death.

Thomas John Cavanagh

Trooper, 2nd Battalion, Imperial Light Horse.

- Queen's South Africa Medal with Transvaal clasp.

Thomas Cavanagh was born the son of Charles and Mary Jane Cavanagh at Umtata in the Transkei region of the Eastern Cape in 1880. At the age of 20, on 8 December 1900, he attested at Pietermaritzburg for service in the Anglo Boer War with the 2nd Battalion of the Imperial Light Horse, with the rank of Trooper and number 61. (Interestingly he attested together with his father, number 86)

At the time of attestation he had a fair complexion, light brown hair and blue eyes. He wore a size 8 boot, weighed 160 pounds and was 5 feet 11 inches tall. His next of kin was provided as his mother, Mrs. M.J. Cavanagh of 234 Longmarket Street, Pietermaritzburg, Natal.

Brief synopsis of the 2nd I.L.H.

The second regiment of ILH was raised in December 1900, and it at once took the field in the Eastern Transvaal. The command of the 2nd Regiment was given to Major D McKenzie, and the "second in command" to Major J R Royston, both officers of the Natal Volunteers who had greatly distinguished themselves during the siege of Ladysmith and elsewhere.

Since taking the field the 2nd ILH had been almost wholly employed in the Eastern Transvaal, where they had done good work under Major-General Smith-Dorrien, Major-General F. W. Kitchener, and other leaders; while Colonel Woolls-Sampson, acting as Intelligence Officer to Colonel Benson, had gained the praises of the Commander-in-Chief.

The 2nd Regiment had fighting on many occasions and sometimes losses. On 25th January 1901, at Twyfelaar, Major Maude and Lieutenant Briscoe were wounded. On 6th February, when Smith-Dorrien's force was fiercely attacked by Botha at Bothwell, Lake Chrissie, the regiment had 2 killed and 4 wounded. The attack was driven off, the enemy leaving 25 dead. During February and March Smith-Dorrien's column was one of those acting under General French when he swept the Eastern Transvaal, driving the enemy to the borders of Zululand, and capturing all his artillery and many prisoners.

About the end of January 1901 a portion of the 2nd Regiment ILH was railed from the Eastern Transvaal to the south.

In his despatch of 8th September 1901, para 6, Lord Kitchener said, "A third mobile column, which will work from Bethlehem (Orange River Colony) as a centre, has just been organised at Harrismith: it will be under the command of Brigadier-General Sir John Dartnell, and will consist of the two regiments of ILH specially equipped with a view to securing increased mobility". In September it became apparent that Botha was about to attempt a reinvasion of Natal ; and in the despatch of 8th October, para 8, after describing certain operations about the Brandwater Basin, east of Bethlehem, in which the ILH took part, Lord Kitchener mentioned that Brigadier General Dartnell, with the 2nd ILH, was ordered to Eshowe on the Zululand Border to assist in keeping the enemy out of Natal.

He also mentioned that the 2nd Regiment had returned by march- route from Zululand to Harrismith on 3rd November. A great converging movement was also foreshadowed, and among the troops to be employed the 1st Regiment was to act from Bethlehem and the 2nd from Harrismith. In the despatch of 8th December the results of that movement are given, but the main body of the enemy, which it was hoped to surround, escaped. Lord Kitchener praised highly the way in which the troops bore the very great strain. About the middle of November both regiments were again in a big operation, but few of the enemy were found. On the 24th the 1st and 2nd Regiments "surprised Laurens' commando between Eland's River Bridge and Bethlehem, killing 2 Boers in their attack and capturing 12 prisoners". This success was followed up on the 27th by a combined force of the 1st and 2nd ILH under Lieutenant Colonel M`Kenzie and Lieutenant Colonel Briggs, in which 24 prisoners, 150 horses, and 800 cattle fell into our hands. The despatch of 8th January 1902 describes further operations under General Elliot, in some of which the ILH took part.

Peace was declared on 1st June 1902. On the 17th, both regiments having been brought into Johannesburg marched past Lord Kitchener, who complimented them and some other distinguished Colonial corps also present. The Commander-in-Chief expressed the hope that he would be able to make arrangements for keeping up the ILH as a permanent volunteer corps.

It is assumed that Cavanagh took his discharge after this and returned to civilian life of which not much is known. He was awarded the Queen's South Africa medal with Transvaal clasp for his service.

At some stage Thomas Cavanagh married a Constance Ann Smith in Pietermaritzburg, Natal. She bore him four children, Aubrey Stanley Cavanagh, Iris Constance McCarthy, Rose Joy Attwood and Thelma Olive Walsh.

Cavanagh, a Retired Foreman, passed away at the age of 68 years and 5 months at 63A Hillier Road, Durban on 26 May 1948.

The story skips to 13 October 1960, some 12 years after Cavanagh's death. On this day a Miss Margaret Cavanagh of 17 Queen Street, Ladysmith, Natal put pen to paper in a letter addressed to the Master of the Supreme Court as follows,

"Dear Sir, I am trying to make enquiries about the Estate of my late father Tommy Cavanagh who passed away in the Grey's Hospital in Pietermaritzburg in 1949. He'd been a soldier too. My _ _ sister who is in Durban told me about it and a coloured woman Mrs. Harrington who perhaps still lives in Greytown Road in brickyard. I was told that a European man came looking for me in 1956 where we lived when we were small. That coloured woman now lives in the " Coloured Schemes" in E. Street. We used to call her Aunt "_ _ oela". She's got a daughter by the name of "Maudie" who's got four children. It appears that I was supposed to have this Estate when I was 21 years of age and I am now 22 years.

Yours sincerely (Miss) Margaret Cavana(u)gh

I will be very grateful sir if you can help me seeing that I am not too well at the moment to hand fixed this up personally."

Hot on the heels of this epistle came one from a Mrs. Turner as follows:

"37 Keate Street, Ladysmith, Natal - 28 October 1960

My Worship

It is a pleasure for me to drop you this line. I received your letter dated 22nd October concerning an Estate of the late T.J. Cavanagh.

I’m very pleased my worship for that is the Estate of my husband Thomas John Cavanagh. I am his wife Margaret Cavanagh, and as far as matters are concerned all the names of Constance Ann are a fake. I am the mother of those four children that my husband has left me with. I am left with three and one passed away.

I married again. I’m am Mrs. Turner now. Your letter was received by my daughter who is also Margaret Cavanagh of 17 Queen Street. I spoke to my husband on the last day before his death and I buried him with my two hands. Our Father Almighty is my witness. If he could come and witness this matter. Everything I’m writing here is nothing but the truth. I still got my husbands marriage certificate. This address which I have given you is a safe address because I receive all my letters at my working place. Hoping that my letter will reach your most favourable consideration. I can see that this matter will have to be proved my worship.

Yours faithfully, Mrs. M. Turner

I'm not sure where the truth lies but it would appear that there were quite a number od skeletons in the Thomas Cavanagh closet.

The medals were acquired from the Thomas' grandson who, when shown copies of the letters, laughed like a drain and stated that he wouldn't put it past the old bugger..!

A fascinating man by all accounts.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 2nd Imperial Light Horse - TJ Cavanagh 11 years 11 months ago #3350

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rory

Thanks for another enjoyable post. There is plenty of evidence of past indiscretions still inhabiting Natal and I was pleased to read that a descendant in this case could laugh about his family's 'skeleton'.

Brett

Re: 2nd Imperial Light Horse - TJ Cavanagh 11 years 6 months ago #6093

• dannybou
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Gentlemen

I am wondering if you could please provide information on the ILH, specifically the 2nd Battalion's whereabouts and actions during February to June 1902. Fleming's book is quite scarce in my area. With thenaks

Danny

Re: 2nd Imperial Light Horse - TJ Cavanagh 6 years 5 months ago #56585

• walshclan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thomas John Cavanagh was my grandfather. This so called "skeleton" in his cupboard is pure fiction. Clearly two families are being confused. Whoever this "Mrs Turner" was, she might have been married to someone of the same name, but it was not my grandfather. I was present in the house when he died and I was at his funeral, in Durban. The main body of this write up is about my grandfather, but the last part regarding this Mrs Turners claims are false. Whoever she buried "with her own two hands" and had children with was certainly not my grandfather. What a shame to ruin a good man's name with falsehoods and whoever in my family made that comment about "would not put it past the old bugger" should hang his head in shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds