Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Welcome Home to a Pair of Old Friends..... 11 years 9 months ago #4137

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Everyone.....

Ever sell something in your collection and it has come back to you?????

I got a call yesterday afternoon from a local antique store that buys gold and silver on the side that they had a couple of medals that I might be interested in......

They have found a few pieces for me so I told them that I would go down and and have a look at what they had found.....

Imagine my surprise when he handed me a pair of medals that I had sold over 5 years ago..... Not letting on the I knew the medals I asked him where he had gotten them from, he told me that a man had come into the store with them and sold them for just over double the scrap silver value.....

I contacted the person to whom I sold them in the first place and he told me that he had sold them on as well and was surprised that they had turned up again.... He told me that the person he had sold them to had passed on and we both figured that it was a member of the family who found them in his estate and not knowing the value sold them to the antique dealer.....

The nice thing is I was able to purchase them for a lot less than I sold for in the first place......

Isn't the world a wonderful place..... :cheer:

95 CORPORAL W. J. CROUCH, NATAL CARBINEERS

Q.S.A.: DEFENCE OF LADYSMITH, ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVAAL, LAING'S NEK, SOUTH AFRICA 1901

NATAL: 1906

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Welcome Home to a Pair of Old Friends..... 11 years 9 months ago #4138

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Mike,
For the benefit of all of us, would you care to say, where exactly, this local antique store is? :sick: :sick: :sick:
Green with envy now!
Frank.

Re: Welcome Home to a Pair of Old Friends..... 11 years 9 months ago #4141

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879

Frank Kelley wrote: Mike,
For the benefit of all of us, would you care to say, where exactly, this local antique store is? :sick: :sick: :sick:
Green with envy now!
Frank.

And give away all my contacts...... :ohmy: :ohmy: :evil: Well if you come over for a visit I will take you there......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Welcome Home to a Pair of Old Friends..... 11 years 9 months ago #4143

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Mike,

That's a stroke of wonderful luck.

A very nice Pair indeed. I was at school here in Durban back in the 70's with a "Crouch" and a member of the family also ended up being a local Councilor for the Borough of Pinetown, I wonder!!!!!

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Welcome Home to a Pair of Old Friends..... 11 years 9 months ago #4144

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432

Mike, here are a few details pertaining to Councillor Rick Crouch who is a local lad. Perhaps he could assist you as you just never know the link between him and the medals !!!!!

He spent some time in the USA as per the write up.

City Councillor eThekwini Municipality

Born in Cape Town South Africa

Rick Crouch currently serves as a City Councillor in the eThekwini Municipality representing the Democratic Alliance. He returned home to South Africa in 2008 in order to become involved in the political process by running for political office. As a private investigator in Los Angeles his celebrity clientele has made him known as 'PI to the Stars'. He has on several occasions assisted the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in tracking down drug dealers and manufactures as well as child predators. He was the branch chairman of the Democratic Alliance Ward 10 branch in eThekwini Municipality from 2009 to 2010 and serves on the executive committee of the Hillcrest CPF. Crouch completed his Commercial Pilot License in 1986.

Contact details

[email protected]
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:

Re: Welcome Home to a Pair of Old Friends..... 11 years 9 months ago #4147

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Mike

That pair of medals would fit very well into my collection! Thank you for showing them. The Natal Carbineers was a very well settled regiment that fostered family loyalties, so its members are often good research subjects. Izabel of the NC will be able to give you Crouch's regimental history.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds