Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

38747 Tpr.Macdonald Frey Ritchie Thorneycroft's Mtd Infantry 11 years 9 months ago #4228

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Another new one from today.
I am gaining more interest in the South African units of late and I thought this a nice example.
It also had the added bonus of a attestation sheet which I think always add to the medal.

Thank you for looking

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 38747 Tpr.Macdonald Frey Ritchie Thorneycroft's Mtd Infantry 11 years 9 months ago #4238

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Hi Paul

I am pleased that you have a developing interest in South African units. The men who served in them are sometimes excellent subjects for research.

Regards
Brett

Re: 38747 Tpr.Macdonald Frey Ritchie Thorneycroft's Mtd Infantry 11 years 9 months ago #4243

• coldstream
Hi Brett

Yes it was something that was missing from my collection, hoping to research them further.

Paul

Brett Hendey wrote: Hi Paul

I am pleased that you have a developing interest in South African units. The men who served in them are sometimes excellent subjects for research.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: 38747 Tpr.Macdonald Frey Ritchie Thorneycroft's Mtd Infantry 11 years 9 months ago #4271

• coldstream
Managed to do a little more research on Trooper Ritchie and came up with the following information.
Reading through the medal rolls I noticed his medal had been issued to an address in Canada, Montreal to be precise.
From this I managed to locate the passenger list for him, he is listed as aged 33 and working as a clerk, he sailed from London.
The next information I found was his wedding details, he married Ethel Mary Golden in Montreal later that year, Ethel was a Londoner.
I have cropped the documents to show the details but not sure if as able to post them under forum rules.

Paul

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds