TOPIC:

Defence of Kimberley Roll 11 years 8 months ago #4812

• Fabius
  • Fabius's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

I recently obtained a QSA named to Mr. E N James Imperial Military Railways. Before purchasing I checked his entitlement and UK National Archives WO 100/252, page 203 shows that he was entitled to the Defense of Kimberley and OFS bars. But he is not listed on this site’s Defense of Kimberley roll. I also happened to notice that on the medal roll list at the UK National Archives the name above E N James is V James and he was also entitled to the bar as his only bar but is also missing from this site. Being a newbie to this site did I overlook something?

Thanks,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Defence of Kimberley Roll 11 years 8 months ago #4818

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Hi Tom,

No I don't think you have overlooked anything. Both EN and V Jones are listed on the IMR and KTG rolls. When compiling the roll, I have to take a best guess in some cases about the unit the recipient's medal was named to in those many cases where they served in multiple units as these two did.

It looks like in both these cases, I deferred to the KTG rather than the IMR. They are both listed in the DoK recipient list under the KTG and in my book their service in the IMR is also noted in both instances.

A DoK to the IMR is a lovely medal and one to be cherished. I know of at least one other collection that would certainly appreciate it!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Defence of Kimberley Roll 11 years 8 months ago #4819

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
David,
I have always meant to congratulate you on your books and will do so now on here, the downside is of course that since they have been published the medals referred to inside them have got harder to find and increased in price!
Kind regards Frank.

Re: Defence of Kimberley Roll 11 years 8 months ago #4822

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Thank you Frank for your kind words. I know what you mean about the dearth of such medals and even the Town Guard medals appears with less frequency it seems. Or is it that our awareness of them is heightened?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Defence of Kimberley Roll 11 years 8 months ago #4823

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good Morning David,
I think it is both, I can remember the time you payed under a hundred pounds for medals to the KTG, imagine that today and where have all the Stars gone?
Regards Frank

Re: Defence of Kimberley Roll 11 years 8 months ago #4826

• Fabius
  • Fabius's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the information. I do see V James listed as KTG but I do not see any E N James listed. Closest is a E H James. There appears to be no E H James on the IMR medal roll while E N James is listed on the medal roll.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds