Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Newest aquisition 647 Pte.Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry 11 years 7 months ago #4841

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
A recent aquisition.
647 Private Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry
Private Murray was awarded the QSA with clasps Transvaal and Natal as confirmed in the rolls.
If anyone can offer any more information I would be grateful.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Newest aquisition 647 Pte.Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry 11 years 7 months ago #4844

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Paul

I will check the online records of the Pietermaritzburg Archives later today. I have been very fortunate in finding records of some of 'my' men there.

Regards
Brett

Re: Newest aquisition 647 Pte.Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry 11 years 7 months ago #4846

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Just had a quick look on the published Natal 1906 roll and did not see him, I like Natal bars they do not seem to be around in any quantity anymore either!
Frank.

Re: Newest aquisition 647 Pte.Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry 11 years 7 months ago #4849

• coldstream
Morning Brett,
Was hoping you may be able to help!

Paul ;)

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

I will check the online records of the Pietermaritzburg Archives later today. I have been very fortunate in finding records of some of 'my' men there.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Newest aquisition 647 Pte.Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry 11 years 7 months ago #4850

• coldstream
Frank,
Yes I agree, I have not seen very many at all.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Just had a quick look on the published Natal 1906 roll and did not see him, I like Natal bars they do not seem to be around in any quantity anymore either!
Frank.

Re: Newest aquisition 647 Pte.Walter Murray Durban Light Infantry 11 years 7 months ago #4852

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Paul

Unfortunately, I am going to disappoint you. The result of the search might have been more positive with an unusual surname.

One possibility is a W Murray, who was a clerk in the Pietermaritzburg Post Office during the period 1898 to 1901, but there is no record of him being excused for military service. He was twice on sick leave (1/3/1898 to 15/4/1898 & 29/3/1900 to 3/4/1900) and he died in 1901, so he seems an unlikely candidate for service in the DLI during much or all of the Natal campaign, which was a requirement in order to qualify for both the Natal and Transvaal clasps.

In 1903 there was an enquiry from Canada about "the late Lieutenant W Murray of the Natal Native Contingent" (a Zulu War unit).

Finally, in 1907 a W Murray in Durban wrote a letter of complaint about litter near his house.

This is definitely not one of the success stories for the archives of Natal.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds