Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 8 months ago #4905

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Morning Brett

Thank you for your reply and your thoughts on the date clasps, that has put my mind at rest.
Thanks also for the reference to the book,I am sure that would be an interesting read.
I had read about the name change but was unaware that "Kaffaria" is now a rude word,can you enlighten us, or is it too explicit for the forum! :lol:

Paul :)

Brett Hendey wrote: My reply to this thread was apparently attacked by gremlins and has disappeared. I will try again.

Paul

Most of the QSA's in my collection are to Colonials and many came without the SA '01 clasp. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult to find replacement clasps and they have become relatively expensive, considering that they must have been amongst the ones most commonly issued. They were also the one most likely to be either unclaimed or subsequently lost, since they were often not properly attached to the medal.

There is a fairly comprehensive account of the role played by the Kaffrarian Rifles during the Boer War in the book, 'The Kaffrarian Rifles 1876-1986' by Francis L Coleman (East London, 1988).

Regards
Brett

PS 'Kaffraria' is now a rude word, so the regiment and other institutions in the Eastern Cape have been renamed. I think the regiment has reverted to the antecedent 'Buffalo Mounted Rifles', but I will check.

PPS I agree with Frank about the Imperial Light Horse. I probably would share Mike's feelings about Strathcona's Horse, but an accident of history has made their QSA's impossibly expensive.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 8 months ago #4906

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Only my opinion, nothing wrong with the Kaffrarian Rifles, they did well at Wepener and the Jo'Burg MR was another good unit too!
Frank

coldstream wrote: Frank

I will take your recommendations on board :lol: :lol:

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 8 months ago #4907

• coldstream
Thanks Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 8 months ago #4909

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Paul

I checked and the name of the regiment is now the 'Buffalo Volunteer Rifles'. Name changes in South Africa are a hot issue and even seemingly innocuous words like 'Kaffraria' stir up emotions. The source of the word is 'kafir' in its various spellings. It was simply an Arab word for 'unbeliever', but its application to the dark races of South Africa led to it being considered derogatory, much the same as the 'n.....' word in the United States. It is no longer acceptable in polite society, where it is referred to as the 'k.....' word, but it does remain in use elsewhere.

There are alternative names for places like Mafeking, Ladysmith and Kimberley, but hopefully the originals will remain in use in military history circles, in the same way as Cawnpore and others have survived from the days of the Empire.

Regards
Brett

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 8 months ago #4910

• coldstream
Hello Brett

Yes I had heard the word "Kafir" but was unaware of the meaning, thank you for explaining.

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 8 months ago #4917

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Oh no Brett,
Well, you do realise you have sunk my retirement plans! :angry: I had intended to move down to King William's Town, open a small public house and call it the "British Kaffraria" :evil: with tasteful interior decor, including at least one stuffed buffalo and a large union flag flown outside from a very tall mast! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Frank

Perhaps a small function room too, for visiting forum members!

Brett Hendey wrote:
PS 'Kaffraria' is now a rude word, so the regiment and other institutions in the Eastern Cape have been renamed. I think the regiment has reverted to the antecedent 'Buffalo Mounted Rifles', but I will check.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds