Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 7 months ago #4899

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello forum members

I purchased a couple of QSA's off a friend last night, both to South African units, I have a few questions if anyone could help.
First the medals:
1655 Pte. C.H.Butler Kaffrarian Rifles with a Cape Colony bar, another roll shows a S.A 1901 which is not with the medal.

842 Trooper F.C.Marshall Johannesburg Mounted Rifles with O.F.S & Transvaal bar again another roll shows S.A 1901 which is not with the medal.

Bars are confirmed on the medal rolls.
I have found Trooper Marshall on the Nominal roll on the forum but I am struggling with Private Butler.
My two questions are:
1. I personally do not think the lack of the date bars do not detract from the medal as I assume these were issued later and possibly not added to the medal by the recipient. Thoughts on that please.
2. On the nominal rolls on the forum I have found a C.H.Butler on the Kaffrarian pages but with a number 21031 I notice that some of the men's numbers have been changed (new numbers written in red ink)
Could this be my man with a new number?

As always thank you for any comments and information.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 7 months ago #4900

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Some of the the Kaffrarian Rifles papers are at Kew in WO126/74, the Jo'Burg MR precede them in WO126/67-73, nominal rolls for both are in WO127 and some are here on this site.
The date bars in both cases would appear to be issued from the supplementary roll and might well have just been worn slipped over the ribbon, you can just go out and buy them here, no problem, does not detract!
If there is only one CH (Charles Henry?) Butler on the nominal roll and only one on the medal roll, it would seem quite likely this is your man!
Frank.

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 7 months ago #4901

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Paul,
When buying QSA's I have only one thing to say to you (well perhaps two things actually, just incase Mike is reading this!)
IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
and of course Strathcona's Horse! ( sorry Mike! :evil:)
Frank

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 7 months ago #4902

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Yes Frank I am reading this....... :lol:

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 7 months ago #4903

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
My reply to this thread was apparently attacked by gremlins and has disappeared. I will try again.

Paul

Most of the QSA's in my collection are to Colonials and many came without the SA '01 clasp. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult to find replacement clasps and they have become relatively expensive, considering that they must have been amongst the ones most commonly issued. They were also the one most likely to be either unclaimed or subsequently lost, since they were often not properly attached to the medal.

There is a fairly comprehensive account of the role played by the Kaffrarian Rifles during the Boer War in the book, 'The Kaffrarian Rifles 1876-1986' by Francis L Coleman (East London, 1988).

Regards
Brett

PS 'Kaffraria' is now a rude word, so the regiment and other institutions in the Eastern Cape have been renamed. I think the regiment has reverted to the antecedent 'Buffalo Mounted Rifles', but I will check.

PPS I agree with Frank about the Imperial Light Horse. I probably would share Mike's feelings about Strathcona's Horse, but an accident of history has made their QSA's impossibly expensive.

Re: Information please-Kaffrarian Rifles 11 years 7 months ago #4904

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank

I will take your recommendations on board :lol: :lol:

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul,
When buying QSA's I have only one thing to say to you (well perhaps two things actually, just incase Mike is reading this!)
IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
and of course Strathcona's Horse! ( sorry Mike! :evil:)
Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.817 seconds