Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No bar QSA's 11 years 3 months ago #6967

• 44002's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have recently come across a couple of QSA with no bars attached. The recipients how ever do appear to be entitled to bars. Looking at the rolls these men appear to have originally been awarded the QSA without bars, then on a slightly later roll the bars have been awarded. Am i right in assuming that the medal may have been issued to ths soldier as on the first roll, then may have been sent the bars at a later date but not had them fixed? Subsequently over time these have been lost.

Example as follows;-

QSA 6348 Pte F.Jacobs Manchester Regt, no bars attached but entitled to 3,OFS, SA01, SA02

Have also come across one with only one bar, but recipient entitled to more.

Would it be ethical therefore to attach original bars to replace the missing ones?

Would be grateful for any input.

Cheers.Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: No bar QSA's 11 years 3 months ago #6970

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Lee
My opinion for what it is worth, is to obtain the "missing but entitled" clasps and just slip them on the ribbon. I would, of course, prefer to look for original clasps; but modern repros might be a less expensive way. By the way, has any forum member an opinion on the quality of repro clasps? Here in OZ I can't say I have seen one.
Regards
IL.

Re: No bar QSA's 11 years 3 months ago #6974

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Lee,
I would just do as Ian suggests, get hold of the clasps and slip them over the ribbon, the OFS and the two date clasps you require are not rare, moreover, if you search around hard enough, you might even be lucky enough to find all three together with official rivits, :woohoo: which would usually be the way the were issued to the recipient.
I certainly would not bother with repro clasps, I would rather manage without! :(
Regards Frank

Re: No bar QSA's 11 years 3 months ago #6975

• 44002's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Frank,
I found a website recently selling original clasps in two's and three's, but guess what, I'll be damned if I can find it again :S . Still keep looking, and I must change history settings, :blink:

Re: No bar QSA's 11 years 3 months ago #6976

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
They are not rare, but, like everything these days, they are becoming harder to find, I am sure you will get a nice set given time!

44002 wrote: Thanks Frank,
I found a website recently selling original clasps in two's and three's, but guess what, I'll be damned if I can find it again :S . Still keep looking, and I must change history settings, :blink:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.920 seconds