• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
David,

I came across this from a Liverpool list dated November 1988

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #57422

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
Thanks David,
I don't think I would pay that sort of money then or now for item 232 .

ATB

David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #57425

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
David,

That is very interesting. I wonder how one came about with raised dated. Do bronze QSAs usually have a type 3, 'R' reverse?
Dr David Biggins

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #57453

• David Grant
The 1st mention of bronze QSA is this invoice of the 11th February 1902.

The Mint record above shows that the Mint delivered the 1st 100,000 were delivered on the 11th November 1902.

My conclusion is that all are type 3 since bronze QSAs were hardly thought about in 1900.

To speculate.....

The usual response being that this is a trial minting.

My thought would be along the lines of......

In the 1900 there was a big market amongst philatelic dealers in the printing of reproductions of stamps (not fakes) so that collectors could fill the spaces in their albums with rare issues .Albums were printed with black & white illustrations and therefore blank spaces were an anathema. These could be filled with reproductions. My own feeling that these oddities may also have been extended to our own hobby where a rarity could be purchased ( or produced by favour) so that a collector could fill a space in his collection. Certainly not worth the asking price and not something I would want to hanker after.
Attachments:

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #57454

• David Grant
On a different tack.

With the digital publication of the 18th Bengal Lancers roll of the India 1895 medal roll in the Archives of India, I find that 1606 Kishen Singh is not the same man as 1696 Kishen Singh as previously surmised.

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...ngent?start=84#18089

1606 Kishen Singh was not in South Africa. and 1696 Kishen Singh was not entitled to the India Medal so withdrawn from my collection.

In compensation my QSA medal to 1693 Sowar Sultan Mohammed Khan,18th Bengal Lancers has now got an entitlement to a 3 clasp India Medal

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #57457

• David Grant
"My thought would be along the lines of......

In the 1900 there was a big market amongst philatelic dealers in the printing of reproductions of stamps (not fakes) so that collectors could fill the spaces in their albums with rare issues .Albums were printed with black & white illustrations and therefore blank spaces were an anathema. These could be filled with reproductions. My own feeling that these oddities may also have been extended to our own hobby where a rarity could be purchased ( or produced by favour) so that a collector could fill a space in his collection. Certainly not worth the asking price and not something I would want to hanker after. "

Just to add a little proof to my theory is this letter from Capt. Wilson of the 44th Gurkhas to the Secretary of the Military Department.

"I have the honour to acknowledge with thanks your letter of the 2nd inst, and the medals which arrived two days ago.

I regret through an oversight I asked to be supplied with a 2nd class Order of Merit, as I already have one in my collection.

I would esteem it as a favour if I might be allowed to return it an obtain in its place a first class order of Merit of the old pattern on paying the difference in price."

Captain Wilson ordered a number of medals, Afghan and India as well as a Order of Merit in Gold for his collection. About 15 or so I seem to remember.

So it seems like normal practice to mint or supply collectors with their requirements. Must all be somewhere now..........
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.742 seconds