Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Bronze QSA : Burma Mounted Infantry 11 years 2 months ago #8163

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
Hi Henk- just picked up on this. I find no 21 Sweeper on the BMI roll nor are there any bronze medals to the BMI on the distribution list.(AG2/M/13126) The three that are there may actually be named to the S&TC rather than the BMI. Rather hesitant about the cursive ingraved script used on the rim too.

It is too easy to condem though.

For you to extrapolate -

There are 3 medals in pairs with the KSA all to Veterinary Assistants all with the clasp Driefontein, 2 with the clasps JHB;DH;Witte;CC

One member served with the 29th Burma Inf , Mandalay

Also from the Boer War shipping list " Dateline Rangoon, Jan. 24. 350 mounted infantry left with Burma ponies to-day on the Palamcotta for Durban under command of Maj. Cruickshank, Essex Regt."

I am up to 18 bronzies and may be 15 odd silvers. Many of which may be old friends to you.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bronze QSA : Burma Mounted Infantry 11 years 4 days ago #9893

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Henk,

You could try the rolls of the regiments that made up the Burma Mounted Infantry or the S&T rolls for Madras, as the BMI came from the Madras Command.

As you know, the Burma Mounted Infantry was raised in Rangoon and comprised three companies of one hundred men from the 2nd Battalions of three regiments based in Burma: Essex Regiment, Durham Light Infantry and West Riding Regiment.

p.s. As they left Rangoon on 24 January 1900 a Burmese lady presented each man with a pink rose, the Burmese emblem of good luck and success.

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.883 seconds