TOPIC:

City Coins 10 years 11 months ago #9915

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The underbidder is just the worst place to be. Strangely, being way off the mark doesn't feel anywhere near as bad.

Commiserations,
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 10 years 11 months ago #9916

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Commiserations all round but thank goodness I've stopped collecting medals.

I could offer some sympathy but I remember one of the sayings of my Sergeants at the Guards Depot after a night exercise had gone horribly wrong: "I've got no sympathy for you, Sir. Íf you want to find sympathy, Sir, you'll find it between sh** and syph***** in the dictionary."

This will be no consolation I know but many congratulations to Natalie and her team at City Coins. There was a time when the South African dealers complained that they were being put out of business by the UK auctions/dealers!

J

City Coins 10 years 11 months ago #9917

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Astonished to read the top collectors here came up with naught. I didn't bid as I am happy trawling the shallow pools of eBay, UK dealers and smaller auction houses.

Is there serious money in QSAs?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

City Coins 10 years 11 months ago #9918

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Interesting point Meurig.

For the unusual and interesting QSA medals there seems to be a new generation of collectors on the block. Tribute medals are almost unattainable these days unless you want to risk divorce.

Part of it can attributed to an increase of interest in the armed forces and military history that was necessarily kept discreet during the Northern Ireland years.

J

City Coins 10 years 11 months ago #9922

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Meurig....

The problem with having a large collection is that the things that you are missing are harder to find and there is serious money required to get the specific items.....

Is there serious money in QSA's well yes there is, since I have been collecting the value of QSA's has gone up by between 500 and 600%..... True some have stayed rather inexpensive..... Because of the number awarded (number of men present), different units, possible combination of bars and being the last of the Victorian medals it will always be a popular medal in collections.....

Mike

SWB wrote: Astonished to read the top collectors here came up with naught. I didn't bid as I am happy trawling the shallow pools of eBay, UK dealers and smaller auction houses.

Is there serious money in QSAs?

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

City Coins 10 years 11 months ago #9944

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
There were a fair number of QSA's sold off at their lowest estimate and a few that were very expensive. There were some in the mid-range that were interesting. I felt sure that Lot 75 (Royal Irish Fusiliers 'double relief') and Lot 101 (5th Royal Irish Lancers Elandslaagte)would attract high bids from overseas, but evidently that did not happen. I wish I had known that in advance!!!

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds