Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 9 months ago #20607

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Henk

Here's some number to back you up - out of the 156 8 claspers I have recorded (essentially all the cavalry & Rimington's Guides) just 30 are casualties and of these 30 fourteen are from Rimington's Guides.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 9 months ago #20608

• SWB
Here is my contribution: a renamed medal to "REMINGTON GUIDES"

William Grimmer Somerset
Served Cape Police then Rimington's Guides (Cpl 98) and Western Province Mounted Rifles (Sgt 953 -KSA).

Whilst serving with the WPMR he was wounded severely at Tontelbosch Kolk on 01-12-1901 which was besieged by the Boers. Somerset was one of a number Mentioned in Dispatches: "Particularly distinguished themselves in defence of Tontelbosch Kolk, Cape Colony, 28th November 1901 to 5th December 1901."

Regards
Meurig

Researcher & Collector
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 9 months ago #20612

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Meurig
Your 156 eight-claspers recorded; is that for the whole army? If so, I have one to the Northumberland Fus.(MI) you might not have.
Kind regards
IL.

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 9 months ago #20613

• SWB
Hello Ian

Not it is not the whole army "(essentially all the cavalry & Rimington's Guides)" - there a handful of odd regiments. It is by no means a complete list - the Navy earned a number of 8 claspers. And for the record it includes date clasp medals.

Regards
Meurig

LinneyI wrote: Meurig
Your 156 eight-claspers recorded; is that for the whole army? If so, I have one to the Northumberland Fus.(MI) you might not have.
Kind regards
IL.

Researcher & Collector
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 2 months ago #24623

• Paulsinover
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Researching Forster, Judge, Shepstone and Walker
  • Thank you received: 3
Edgar Douglas Forster - 8 clasps

I'd love to learn the whereabouts of my Great Uncle's medals! Edgar joined the 'Guides' at the beginning and WO 100/244 shows his eight clasp entitlement. It looks like he stayed on with Damant's Horse until April '01. WO 100/285 reveals that he then joined Stellenbosch District Mounted Troops. He left for the UK in May 1902 for a 6 month visit before returning.

His Brother Eric Leigh Douglas Forster was a raw 2nd Lieutenant with the 1st Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. He departed the Royal Albert Docks on RMS Ebro for South Africa on 15th March '01. WO 100/169 shows his entitlement to both KSA and QSA... His medals were sold many decades ago, but surfaced at auction 10 years ago - then disappeared.

Their Father, John Douglas Forster was politically active prior to the War and as a Barrister, acted as Lord Roberts' legal advisor during the Military Occupation of Johannesburg. As an aside, he was one of the Officers to 'accept the keys of Johannesburg' from Kommandant Krause on Roberts' behalf. They both ended up in the Old Bailey a year later - but that's another story!

Another problem is that I'm trying to work out the likelihood of where and when they could have met up. Rimington's records are virtually non-existant at a personal level and the Northumberland Fusiliers seem to have been apportioned piecemeal!

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be grateful for input.

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 2 months ago #24625

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
"Rimmington's records" do exist on a personal level as far as a particular man was concerned regarding his joining and being discharged, have a look in WO126/145-163.

Paulsinover wrote: Edgar Douglas Forster - 8 clasps

I'd love to learn the whereabouts of my Great Uncle's medals! Edgar joined the 'Guides' at the beginning and WO 100/244 shows his eight clasp entitlement. It looks like he stayed on with Damant's Horse until April '01. WO 100/285 reveals that he then joined Stellenbosch District Mounted Troops. He left for the UK in May 1902 for a 6 month visit before returning.

His Brother Eric Leigh Douglas Forster was a raw 2nd Lieutenant with the 1st Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. He departed the Royal Albert Docks on RMS Ebro for South Africa on 15th March '01. WO 100/169 shows his entitlement to both KSA and QSA... His medals were sold many decades ago, but surfaced at auction 10 years ago - then disappeared.

Their Father, John Douglas Forster was politically active prior to the War and as a Barrister, acted as Lord Roberts' legal advisor during the Military Occupation of Johannesburg. As an aside, he was one of the Officers to 'accept the keys of Johannesburg' from Kommandant Krause on Roberts' behalf. They both ended up in the Old Bailey a year later - but that's another story!

Another problem is that I'm trying to work out the likelihood of where and when they could have met up. Rimington's records are virtually non-existant at a personal level and the Northumberland Fusiliers seem to have been apportioned piecemeal!

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be grateful for input.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paulsinover

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.733 seconds