• Page:

TOPIC:

Rorkes Drift 12 years 5 months ago #1537

• Dai Parker
  • Dai Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I know there was a battle at Rorkes Drift between the British and the Zulu's in 1879, but i am told a British Army outpost existed there in 1899 - 1902. Is this true and what regiments were stationed there? Any information on this subject would be most greatful, regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Rorkes Drift 12 years 5 months ago #1542

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Early in the Boer War while the Boers were concentrating on besieging Ladysmith, the Buffalo River valley in which Rorke's Drift is located was patrolled by detachments of the Umvoti Mounted Rifles and the Natal Police. It seems that the road west of the river was the main route for the patrols that initially ventured as far north as Helpmekaar,a few miles west of Rorke's Drift. The UMR and NP were later joined by Bethune's Mounted Infantry and the Colonial Scouts, these units having been detached from the main Ladysmith relief force, which had moved northwards along the railway line to Dundee and beyond. The Buffalo River patrols also moved further north well passed Helpmekaar and Rorke's Drift.

The Buffalo River valley then became a backwater in the war. Nevertheless, the valley continued to be patrolled by Colonial troops. The Boers did make incursions into what is today Zululand north and north-east of Rorke's Drift, but I have not found a record of any Colonial or Imperial troops being based at Rorke's Drift. It is, however, likely that patrols stayed there from time to time.

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific, but perhaps someone else can add more details, especially on the role of Imperial troops in this part of Natal.

Brett

Re: Rorkes Drift 12 years 5 months ago #1544

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Brett,

I agree with what you say. Do you think the lack of facilities there meant that troops were stationed elsewhere and visited Rorke's Drift only on patrol?

During Botha's second invasion of Natal the drift was guarded by Brigadier General Spens' column in Sep 1901 but I do not know for how long.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Rorkes Drift 12 years 5 months ago #1547

• Brett Hendey
David

One of the factors that seems to have kept the early patrols on or near the Pomeroy - Helpmekaar road was the view of the Buffalo River and the coutryside on the far bank. In spite of the successful defence of Rorke's Drift during the Zulu War, it is not in a good location militarily. It is overlooked by higher ground and there is no distant view of the countryside. The Boers were a very different enemy to the Zulus and they might easily have won the second Battle of Rorke's Drift with the use of snipers and artillery, so the British had good reason to be cautious.

Regards
Brett

Re: Rorkes Drift 12 years 5 months ago #1548

• Brett Hendey
The book 'The Defence of Duffer's Drift' came to mind while I was compiling the reply about the security of Rorke's Drift as an army base. I no longer have a copy of the book, so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

It was written by a British army officer and is based on his experiences during the Boer War. The Wikipedia summary is worth reading and substituting "Rorke's Drift' for 'Duffer's Drift'. The conclusion after six scenarios for a Boer attack on RD/DD is that only in the last one do the British hold out, and then only long enough to be relieved. In other words, the garrison at RD/DD could not beat the Boers on their own.

I expect that this was obvious to the Colonial officers on the Buffalo River patrols even though they did not have the benefit of the Duffer's Drift analysis.

The Wikipedia entry concludes that the book "is still considered relevant and interesting in modern times."

Regards
Brett

Re: Rorkes Drift 12 years 5 months ago #1552

• Dai Parker
  • Dai Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi thanks very much for you replies. The reason I ask is my father tells me that his grand father (my great grandfather) was serving in the British army in South Africa (1899-1902) and he thought he was stationed at an outpost at Rorkes Drift. I'm researching my family tree and i am trying to find out the regiment that my great grandfather was attatched to.My dad was just a boy at the time when he met his grandad. He remembers a belt or cumerbund that he had with different colours on from the army but that's it. Sorry this is a bit vague.His name was Joseph Parker and he was from Pontypridd in South Wales, he would have been about 18 when he joined up. Any clues or advice on researching Joseph? Your help is very grateful. Many Regards.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds