Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Major Gen. A C WAUCHOPE'S grave 12 years 4 months ago #1933

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi all, I have been reading up on the battles leading up to the relief of Kimberley, As you all know The Scottish regiments were thrashed at Magersfontein where Maj Gen Wauchope also met his end. During these past holidays I stumbled upon the cemetry near Matjesfontein just off the N1 and was amazed to find the memorial and grave site of this Officer killed on 11 Dec 1899. The condition of the cemetry site is good and I was able to take some pictures which I'd be happy to share with interested members of the forum.
I haven't worked out how to load them here, but will happily forward the photos in an email. Just let me know. Best wishes for a great 2012, Evyn FSburgher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Major Gen. A C WAUCHOPE'S grave 12 years 4 months ago #1938

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Hi Evyn,

I'm sure this would be a great addition to the site. Would you like to email them to me and I can add them? Alternatively, the process for adding them yourself isn't too scary as long as they are less than 800 pixels high or wide. Have a look at this post: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/10-test-area/513-a-little-help#518

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Major Gen. A C WAUCHOPE'S grave 11 years 6 months ago #6471

• gordonlennox
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I am writing a book in which the death of Wauchope features and his body's subsequent removal to Matjiesfontein.

On a visit to the town to discuss the possibilities Rosslyn also met the chief railway engineer, Robert Brown, who had just returned from the Modderfontein battlefield and from where he had collected a number of articles including General Wauchope’s claymore which he had handed to Mr Logan. Rosslyn recalled
Mr Logan showed me poor General Wauchope's sword. It was in his house, and he was waiting instructions what to do with it, but I suggested that it should be sent home. The marks of his life's blood were plainly visible on the hilt. He knew Mr Logan well, and the latter had his remains conveyed (not from the battlefield, for they were not buried there) to Matjesfontein, and thence they were solemnly and reverently interred at Pieter Meintjes, about six miles down the railway, on Mr Logan's property. (C235B)

I see David Biggins has offered to upload the picture but it is not on the page. I would like to look at it and see if it is suitable for inclusion in my book. Would you be able to send me a copy.
Kind regards
James Gordon Lennox
[email protected]

Re: Major Gen. A C WAUCHOPE'S grave 11 years 6 months ago #6472

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Apologies. The fault lies with me. Here are the photos.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordonlennox

Re: Major Gen. A C WAUCHOPE'S grave 11 years 6 months ago #6475

• gordonlennox
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David
Unfortunately I think the presence of a person detracts significantly from the picture.
Regards
James

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.339 seconds