Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42906

• BOX500
  • BOX500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

SWB wrote: Hello

With my late father we published a gazetteer for the war: A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902
HM & MGM Jones, Military Press, 1999 with 2,348 entries. These include map references. The book is out of print, currently the information is available by looking at casualties on FindmyPast or my website

I have since added over 300 more entries, and am looking at converting the map references into lat & long so they can located using Google maps.

Regards
Meurig

If you find anything of use on kentfallen.com I'd be delighted to provide a MS Word document for your own website(s). That includes of course my tardy (hurried) work here on Canterbury Boer War Memorial.

I'm not very far from you - I'm now in BEXHILL having moved from Kent last year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42908

• BOX500
  • BOX500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

SWB wrote: Simple indeed.

I am not surprised it has not been done before. The Gazetteer took at least four man of years full time work, my Father was retired.

Using the map co-ordinates from the Gazetteer to pinpoint locations on digital maps is not easy, it can take hours to find a place - and very many of these locations are in the middle of nowhere. Contemporary maps don't always correspond to the satellite image, names have changed, roads and railways moved and the South Africans have flooded some battlefields.

If I was retired......... Yes I appreciate what you say here.... Finding exact positions on a map won't be easy. That's not to say it can't be done of course. I'm now retired at 52 years of age (worn out copper). Maybe this Winter won't turn out to be as dismal and boring as I'd first imagined.... The transcriptions on kentfallen have all been completed by just TWO people. Thousands of pages.....

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42909

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
While it would not be a completely straightforward task, many places are still identifiable and it would be a challenge but a very worthwhile one to try to locate as many places as possible. Cross-referencing old maps would enable, I think, a good stab to be made to identify the current locations. Those few that are incorrectly identified can always be corrected in the future.
Dr David Biggins

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42927

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Neil

Welcome to Sussex!

We should meet.

Email me at [email protected]

BOX500 wrote:

SWB wrote: Hello

With my late father we published a gazetteer for the war: A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902
HM & MGM Jones, Military Press, 1999 with 2,348 entries. These include map references. The book is out of print, currently the information is available by looking at casualties on FindmyPast or my website

I have since added over 300 more entries, and am looking at converting the map references into lat & long so they can located using Google maps.

Regards
Meurig

If you find anything of use on kentfallen.com I'd be delighted to provide a MS Word document for your own website(s). That includes of course my tardy (hurried) work here on Canterbury Boer War Memorial.

I'm not very far from you - I'm now in BEXHILL having moved from Kent last year.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds