Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42900

• BOX500
  • BOX500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

Here he is wearing his uniform. I'm holding both those medals in my hand NOW!!!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42901

• BOX500
My other half Kim thinks he looks remarkably like a young GRAHAM NORTON !!!!!!!

Not sure he would be impressed by that one.

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42902

• BOX500

djb wrote: That does sound a very good idea. With coordinates for places, Google maps can be embedded in the pages of this and many other sites.

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/to...ard?showall=&start=1

Imagine a map like that one with almost every historic location marked !!!!!

I'd be delighted to make the map available to all and sundry.

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42903

• BOX500

SWB wrote: Hello

With my late father we published a gazetteer for the war: A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902
HM & MGM Jones, Military Press, 1999 with 2,348 entries. These include map references. The book is out of print, currently the information is available by looking at casualties on FindmyPast or my website

I have since added over 300 more entries, and am looking at converting the map references into lat & long so they can located using Google maps.

Regards
Meurig

I'm sure your superb work here will be a very valuable resource if this ever gets off the ground. Perhaps you might PM me with your email so we can discuss further? My email is clarkneil(at)live.co.uk

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42904

• BOX500
Herewith a Boer War transcription I completed a number of years ago for my own website which covers Kent men who fell in both world wars.

www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/CANTERBURY%20BOER.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

IDEA - Converting Old Place Names from Old Books to Present Locations. 8 years 7 months ago #42905

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Simple indeed.

I am not surprised it has not been done before. The Gazetteer took at least four man of years full time work, my Father was retired.

Using the map co-ordinates from the Gazetteer to pinpoint locations on digital maps is not easy, it can take hours to find a place - and very many of these locations are in the middle of nowhere. Contemporary maps don't always correspond to the satellite image, names have changed, roads and railways moved and the South Africans have flooded some battlefields.

If I was retired.........

BOX500 wrote: That's an encouraging response, quick too....

My idea is quite simple -

1. Gather together ALL old place names.
2. Convert to new place names.
3. Locate exact positions on Google Maps.
4. Plot these locations by their old names on the map.

The map to include things such as small things such as railway stations, drifts where the armies crossed rivers etc and strategic positions such as hills and camps etc.

I'd like to include Boer positions and movements as well as the British and Commonwealth positions and movements. This might be difficult and it may be a better idea to construct a map for each side? I'm sure many users of this site have a direct interest in the Boers not just the Brits. Bearing in mind we are now all friends and allies, it seems only right they are included.

I assume Google Maps is the best platform to use as it's free. I think Google Earth can also be used for same purpose.

Not only can you use simple map pins, you can add finer detail by using different coloured lines (straight as well as tracking lines which are used to mark routes etc).

Of course once this has been completed it might be possible to construct a Google Map for each major battle.

I'm convinced this kind of map would be extremely popular and helpful to those who seek to establish the movements of a particular person or unit.

To be perfectly frank I'm surprised it hasn't already been done by someone. I searched the Google Maps Community fully expecting to find a similar map.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOX500

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds