MATATIELE DISTRICT DEFENCE FORCE. 1901 to 1902. A corps raised for local defence during the S.A. War, with a strength of about 100 Europeans and 50 Natives, all mounted and carrying Martini-Metford .303 rifles. Though paid and equipped by the Cape Government, like the Wodehouse Yeomanry, they did not wear uniform, and are described by Hurst as being virtually a commando. They were known as "the Matatiele Lambs". The Commanding Officer was Major C. Tod, and the corps saw service as far afield as Barkly East District.