Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1st Brabants Horse 9 years 7 months ago #22968

My great uncle, John Joseph GAMBLE 9032 joined 1st Brabants Horse in May 1900 from Australia & was wounded in action & taken POW at Englebrechts Drift in September 1900. I would like to get information on that particular action & how & when those POW's were released.
He was discharged in November 1900, returned to Australia aboard the "Ranee" & returned to South Africa - on the same vessel- with Imperial drafts & enlisted in the Bushveldt Carbineers (269/33764) at Green Point on 6th May 1901 & was discharged from that body in November 1901 & he returned to Leadville NSW.
John Joseph's brother, George Henry GAMBLE enlisted in the 3rd Regiment Mounted Rifles in Sydney in February 1901; I am still to do further research on him.
In addition William Charles GUMBLETON - who was subsequently to be my maternal grandfather - joined the same unit with George Gamble.
In regard to the famous Breaker Morant incident, "Joseph Gamble asserts (In an early newspaper report - Southern Star Bega (May02) that he was present at the shooting of the wounded Boer, who, he says could not stand & was carried out & seated on an anthill & shot. He further states that the German missionary thereupon loudly announced that he would let the world know of their brutality, when Morant said, 'you will, will you? and shot him dead".
I suspect that this may be a fanciful account as in Woolmores "The Bushveldt Carbineers And The Pietersburg Light Horse" the shooting of the missionary is detailed quite differently. Nevertheless, I "throw this into the ring" to see if there are other accounts of the events leading up to the execution of Morant & Handcock
John Joseph Gamble was one of 10 children of Joseph & Emily Gamble of Leadville NSW.
He subsequently served with the 17th Battalion AIF in WW1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1st Brabants Horse 9 years 6 months ago #22981

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
My GGF enlisted in the 1st BH. Another Colonial albeit from NZ not Oz.

All the best with your research on BH. Sorry I cannot add anything to POW's. I will watch your thread with interest.

Are you the custodian of your families medals and/or a keen family historian?

Cheers Stephen

1st Brabants Horse 9 years 6 months ago #22985

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello

Gamble was reported as released in The Times of 28 Sept 1900.

I can't help directly with the location of Englebrecht's Drift, there were just two casualties that day; Gamble and Dykes who was killed, Unfortunately Watt (In Memoriam) does not record a burial place for Dykes.

I see there was a Sgt JS Gamble in Brabant's Horse - a relation?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

1st Brabants Horse 9 years 6 months ago #23082

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your response. I have no medals but am tracking down the Gamble family - an interesting journey.
Anthony Berry

1st Brabants Horse 9 years 6 months ago #23084

Thanks Meurig for your response.
I'm still trying to find details of the action in which Gamble & Dykes were captured including the date/s involved. Also looking for details of their release etc.
I will keep searching ( very persistent).

Can't connect J.S. Gamble - not a relative - to my John Joseph Gamble or get any details of him other than he is listed on the roll for 1st Brabant's Horse - bit of a mystery.

I am also trying to gather information on two other relatives who served in the Boer War:
George Henry Gamble (great uncle)
William Charles Gumbleton (grandfather).

Anthony Berry

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds