TOPIC:

Three Forsters go to War 9 years 3 months ago #24627

• Paulsinover
  • Paulsinover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Researching Forster, Judge, Shepstone and Walker
  • Thank you received: 3
My Great Uncle, Edgar Douglas Forster joined Rimington's Guides at the beginning of the War and WO 100/244 shows his eight clasp entitlement. It looks like he stayed on with Damant's Horse until April '01. WO 100/285 reveals that he then joined Stellenbosch District Mounted Troops. He left for the UK in May 1902 for a 6 month visit before returning. He married Florence Mary Judge in April 1904 and they set up home at Belvedere in Zoutpansberg. Florence died 2 years later and Edgar passed away in April 1910 not far away at Ravenshill.
His death certificate states he was a farmer - but back then, that encompassed game farming for zoos, as well as citrus and arrable farming.

Can anyone help with viable sources to fill in some gaps? Direct contact with Tzaneen Library and Limpopo University have drawn blanks.

His Brother Eric Leigh Douglas Forster was a raw 2nd Lieutenant with the 1st Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. He departed the Royal Albert Docks on RMS Ebro for South Africa on 15th March '01. WO 100/169 shows his entitlement to both KSA and QSA... His medals were sold many decades ago, but surfaced at auction 10 years ago - then disappeared. He went on to serve as a Captain in France in WW1, being wounded twice. He limped and used a stick whilst serving in India as a Major and Inspector of Physical Training! He thought the Army had a wry sense of humour....

Their Father, John Douglas Forster was politically active prior to the War and as a Barrister, acted as Lord Roberts' legal advisor during the Military Occupation of Johannesburg. As an aside, he was one of the Officers to 'accept the keys of Johannesburg' from Kommandant Krause on Roberts' behalf. They both ended up in the Old Bailey a year later - but that's another story.

Another problem is that I'm trying to work out the likelihood of where and when they could have met up during the AB War. Rimington's records are virtually non-existant at a personal level and the Northumberland Fusiliers seem to have been apportioned piecemeal!

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be grateful for input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Three Forsters go to War 4 years 5 months ago #66745

• Paulsinover
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
After over 5 years of hunting, an eagle eyed member of the Great War Forum alerted me to my Grandfather's QSA re-surfacing at Bill Friar's site. Major (but then just a raw Lieutenant) Eric Leigh Douglas Forster's medal is now back in the family in time for his daughter's 88th birthday!
Attachments:

Three Forsters go to War 4 years 5 months ago #66747

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Paul,

What a lovely result. Glad to hear that the QSA to your Grandfather is back "home'.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Three Forsters go to War 4 years 5 months ago #66752

• Paulsinover
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Indeed! Oh for similar luck for his brother Edgar Douglas Forster's 8 clasp Rimmington's Guides QSA.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds