Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Robert Lees (IY 32/2 & Cape Police) - medals, research any assistance appre 12 years 5 months ago #1473

• ErichP
  • ErichP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
We have a few family members who have been researching a great grandfather for a number of years and this website is going to help them a lot. Brilliant of have stumbled across it :lol:
I question that I do have, more out of curiosity, is is there a way to find out if he received any medals and which medals (if any) were presented. I know that he left the IY and joined the Cape Police. From a diary extract I know that he was then captured by the Boer just before Christmas. After that we have seen records that he left the CP, rejoined again and then left.

There is also rumour that he was with the Hussar, in UK, before joining the IY (although if my lousy memory serves, I seem to remember it was under a different name)... :blink:

Lees Robert 1852 Attested: Sep 1900. Source: CMP 28 Cape Police
Lees Robert Edward 8903 Private Source: QSA Medal Rolls 32nd Company, 2nd Btn, IY

Many Thanks
Ep
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Robert Lees (IY 32/2 & Cape Police) - medals, research any assistance appre 12 years 5 months ago #1475

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hello Erich, It would appear that Robert Edward Lees received the Queen's South Africa Medal with Cape Colony clasp. The QSA roll for 2nd Btn. 32nd Coy., IY show 8903 Pte. RE Lees as QSA with CC clasp and a note saying transferred to Cape Police. The Cape Police D2 roll lists 939 Pte. Robert Edward Lees as having being issued the QSA with CC clasp on the 32nd Coy, IY roll ref 68/SA/2961. There is no entry of the medal being returned to the mint on either roster so presumably Robert Lees received his medal. I can find nothing on the King's South Africa Medal rosters to indicate he got one or if he was issued with either SA 1901 or SA 1902 clasps for his QSA.

I can't find anything in the casualty lists for the Cape Police for Lees being taken prisoner but there are often errors in these lists so he may be listed under an incorrect name.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Robert Lees (IY 32/2 & Cape Police) - medals, research any assistance appre 12 years 5 months ago #1476

• ErichP
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Mark.
That is brilliant information.

As for the POW, all his diary indicates is when the Boer approaches him after he spent two days outrunning them. Family history seem to indicate that he was only help prisoner for a few days before either being released or escaping.

Again, thank you.
Erich
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Re: Robert Lees (IY 32/2 & Cape Police) - medals, research any assistance appre 12 years 5 months ago #1478

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45

ErichP wrote: Thank you Mark.
That is brilliant information.

As for the POW, all his diary indicates is when the Boer approaches him after he spent two days outrunning them. Family history seem to indicate that he was only help prisoner for a few days before either being released or escaping.

Again, thank you.
Erich

Glad to have been able to help, Erich,
Have you had a look at service records? You might be able to find something in the Cape Police records. Also, you could look at the attestation and discharge papers for the IY in series WO 128 at the NA. These should list any previous military service a member had so you might be able to find something on his service in the Hussars. The 32nd (Lancashire) Company, IY was co-sponsored by Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry Cavalry, and Lancashire Hussars when raised in 1900.

It still might be worth it going through the casualty records for the Cape Police. His capture may well be noted in that but under some misspelled name. There may well be something in his CP service record if it still exists.

Cheers,

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErichP

Re: Robert Lees (IY 32/2 & Cape Police) - medals, research any assistance appre 12 years 4 months ago #1574

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Erich,

I am in the Cape Archives as I write this doing my monthly dip into all things Cape Police. I have in my hands the attestation papers to 1852 Robert Edward Lees who attested into the CP at Prieska on the 03/09/1900. His attestation papers confirm previous service with the 15 Hussars(1 year and 5 month) and in the Imp Yeo.

He was 25 years and 6 months old on attestation and was a bricklayer by trade. 5 foot 7 inches tall and from Oldham, Lans in England.

He reattested on the 01/12/1902 in Kimberley into CP Dist 2 and took his final discharge on the 12/10/1903 as medically unfit.

I will be here for a few days. If you want copies of the papers (10)pages in all, let me know.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Robert Lees (IY 32/2 & Cape Police) - medals, research any assistance appre 12 years 4 months ago #1579

• ErichP
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Adrian.
I think that the family may already have that, although I am not sure if it's as much as 10 pages.
I will ask and come back to you.

thank you
Erich

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds