• Page:

TOPIC:

Welsh Regiment 12 years 4 months ago #1525

• Dai Parker
  • Dai Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, i'm trying to find out about my great grandfather who served for the british army in the seconed Boer war. His name is Joseph Parker and he was born in Aberdare, Glamorgan, South Wales in 1881. I have done several researches on Joseph and haven't come up with any concrete information about Joseph during the Boer War. Plenty of J Parkers come up and one or two Joseph Parkers but no record of age, place of birth etc to connect them to my Joseph. One way i suppose I could narrow it down is find out his regiment. If he was born in South Wales he would have joined up to one of the Welsh Regiments, surely? Could anyone tell me the possible regiments he might have joined in 1899(i suppose) going on his South Waleian residence(he would have been 18 in 1899)? Or maybe anyone with better resorces than me find a record of a Joseph Parker, around about 18 years old and living in Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, South Wales at the time. I would be so greatful for any help,information and advice on this subject. Many, Many Regards, David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Welsh Regiment 12 years 4 months ago #1527

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello David

Have you tried looking at the service papers on FindmyPast and pension papers on Ancestry?

The Victorian army was not as parochial as it might seem from the territorial conenctions given to regiments. For example, out of approx. 3000 enlistments to the South Wales Borderers from 1881-1913 less than 50% were by men born in Wales. So, it is possible your great grandfather joined a 'non-welsh' regiment.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds