Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Roger Howe 135th Company 30th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry 12 years 2 months ago #1821

• nfp20
  • nfp20's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post so my apologies in advance.

I found a reference on this site to the 135th Company 30th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry providing a list of members and note that one is a Robert Howe. Is it possible that this is an error??

Roger Howe my partners ancestor from Shap was in the 135th Company Imperial Yeomanry which is noted on his later military records when he joined the 19th Western Battalion The Rifle Brigade in September 1914 as the company he served with prior to joining the WW1.

I would be very interested to know where the 135th went if this is Roger rather than Robert Howe. Roger never had a brother as far as I know called Robert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Roger Howe 135th Company 30th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry 12 years 2 months ago #1822

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi, welcome aboard. Looking at WO 100/129 pg 247 the Queen's South Africa Medal (QSA) roll for the 135th Coy. IY. I see only one man named Howe listed and his initial is given as R. He got the QSA with Cape Colony and South Africa 1902 clasps. There may well have been an error in transcribing his name at some point so I wouldn't dismiss Robert as not being Roger. Do Roger's service records give his number from the 135th coy. IY? As the number of the man in the QSA roll is No.38226.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Roger Howe 135th Company 30th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry 12 years 2 months ago #1838

• nfp20
  • nfp20's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
He has a regimental number of 366 but thats for his second duty in 1914 rather than the boer war. His army records do note his previous duty its also in his obituary. He served in Egypt.

This is his obit:

SHAP

The death took place this week of Mr. Roger Howe, Shap, at the age of 80. This broke the last remaining link with a family who have resided in Shap for over 200 years. Born at Shap, and employed at one time by the Shap Granite Co., Mr. Howe fought in the Boer War in the 135th Company of Imperial Yeomanry and in the 1914-18 war volunteered for service with the 19th Western Battalion Rifle Brigade serving in Egypt. A keen cricket enthusiast, Mr. Howe was often to be seen at Shap’s home games. He was a popular and well-respected member of the village community.

Ancestry has a medal award noted and his service joining for 1914 would that be the same thing?

Re: Roger Howe 135th Company 30th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry 12 years 2 months ago #1843

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello

The first name 'Robert' is taken from the WO128 IY attestation papers at the National Archives and not the QSA Medal Rolls as indicated on this site.

To resolve this issue you need to get a copy of these papers either visiting yourself or employing a researcher.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: Roger Howe 135th Company 30th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry 12 years 2 months ago #1847

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The QSA medal roll gives only his initial

but, if you search Ancestry, you will find his Territorial Force Attestation papers which run to 4 pages, give some service and biographical details, and include his signature.

As Meurig says, the papers can be accessed on line or at the National Archives (either in person or by a researcher).

His Great War Medal Index Card entry lists the award of the British War Medal and Victory Medal. This is also available on Ancestry.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds