Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

George Spain 7 years 3 months ago #51603

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307
I'm currently reading a biography, which includes the following information on two ABW officers: -
George Redesdale Brooker Spain, was born at Horsley, Northumberland, on 23rd June 1877, and, after his education at Eastbourne College, became a second lieutenant, aged 21, in the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. In July 1902, he was made captain, and commanded the 4th Volunteer Service Company Northumberland Fusiliers in action in Natal. He had taken part in the action at Nooitgedacht, in December 1900. Later awarded the Queen's Medal with five clasps, and made an Honorary Freeman of the City of Newcastle.
In 1912, he became lieutenant-colonel of the 6th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (TA), and led the battalion at Ypres 1n 1915. Died on 12th October 1961, was cremated, and his ashes interred in the family grave at Holy Trinity Church, Horsley.

His elder brother, Walter Smitheyt Spain, was nine years older than George, and served as a major in the army. He then left to move to Rhodesia, first working for the Chartered Company, and later joining the Rhodesian police force.

The biography is about George Spain's daughter, Nancy, who was a well-known television, radio, and newspaper celebrity from the 1940s on, until her death in 1964.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George Spain 7 years 3 months ago #51607

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Berenice,

A quick search suggests they are a very interesting family so I'm guessing you have a good read?
Dr David Biggins

George Spain 7 years 3 months ago #51612

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Berenice
You may be interested to hear that Walter Smythe Spain received the BSACM 1893 as "1653 Tpr., B.B.Police" and took part in the Jameson Raid as "Sub.Insp., Artillery, M.M.P". Highly likely he would have known one "Tpr. John Frost, of Artillery, M.M.P" (also on the JR) and whose medals I currently hold. Info from the Owen roll.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

George Spain 7 years 3 months ago #51625

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307

djb wrote: Berenice,

A quick search suggests they are a very interesting family so I'm guessing you have a good read?

She was quite a character, so not a stuffy biography, and, yes, a good read. £1.49 in a library sale!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds