TOPIC:

David Edward Patterson 7 years 4 weeks ago #52822

• amandad82
  • amandad82's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Forum Members,

I was wondering if you would be able to assist me.

I am currently searching for more details on a few pieces of information that I have discovered while doing research on my ancestor David Edward Patterson.

Here is a brief timeline, that I have found using baptism records and his claim of compensation file:
1897 – Worked as a ZAR Mounted Policeman
1898 – Worked as a Detective
1901 – He is listed as surrendering to the English at his farm / store Kamelportnek and was sent with wife and kid to Irene Concentration Camp
1901 – Listed as working for the Military Intelligence Department
1901-3 – In his claim of compensation file that he swore allegiance with the English and started working for the Morley Scouts
1911 – He applied for a farm with a Mr. Groenewald and the reference he gave were:
General Botha
General Beyers
General De La Rey
Comt Leinberg

The question I have are:
1. What does it mean to of worked for the ZAR Mountain Police? Would you of had to be born in the ZAR?
2. In his claim of Compensation file he says that he was a neutralized burger who’s residency permit had expired and he never took up arms against his hereditary country, - I am currently trying to establish what it meant to be a neutralised burger… Could he of come from the English part of South Africa (like the Cape Province) and had to request a residence permit to live in the Transvaal (ZAR), or did he immigrate from the UK?
3. His wife was family of Arthur John Dickens, who is said to of known Jan Smuts, I read that Jan Smuts took hold of the Intelligence Department at one stage, is there any more reading I could do to find out more?
4. As he was working as a detective in 1898, does that mean he was part of the ZAR defence?

I’m trying to gather as much information on this man as possible, any assistance would be very welcome.

Many thanks and Kind Regards,
Amanda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds