• Page:

TOPIC:

My Gandfathers 6 years 11 months ago #53650

• SGRetired
  • SGRetired's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching the Boer War history of my two grandfathers. One was Major CTW Grimshaw DSO whose details you have on your database. The other is Capt EO Collison MC. I have his Queens and Kings South Africa medals so know that he was there but do not have more information. He may not have been a Capt when he was in the Boer War, but was during WWI.
Can anybody help me please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Gandfathers 6 years 11 months ago #53655

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
SGRetired
I had a look in Services of Boer War Officers for an E.O.Collison; no luck. In case he served with the Imperial Yeomanry or the Cavalry I went through my CD of same. No luck. So ....... the obvious question must be asked: exactly what details are shown on the edge of his QSA/KSA in your possession? That would be a great place to start.
Other Forum members are far more adept in searching the commercial sites - someone might help? Failing that, the medal naming details are critical.
Good luck with your quest
IL.

My Gandfathers 6 years 11 months ago #53656

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
EO Collison was a Battery Sergeant major with the 79th and 74th Royal Field Artillery in the Boer War. No. 83877. His QSA should have the clasps Wittebergen, Orange Free State and Transvaal. He was a Captain in the Army Ordnance Corps in WWI and was twice M.I.D.

I don't see an MC awarded for him.

Regards

Rory

My Gandfathers 6 years 11 months ago #53664

• SGRetired
  • SGRetired's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Rory, thank you for this excellent information. He was awarded the MC towards the end of WWI after gallant service in the BEF/Somme area. Fortunately that part of his service is fairly well documented, so now having his Boer War details it helps me to complete the picture.
Kind regards, Stephen

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds