TOPIC:

Arthur Wheelock - Royal Artillery 6 years 7 months ago #55147

• Wheelock43
  • Wheelock43's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Afternoon,

I am trying to find information on an Ancestor of mine, Arthur Wheelock born in b. 31st January 1882 d. 25th October 1969 in South Africa, he served in the War but I cannot find any information or Service Record. According to family papers, he was twice decorated for actions in the field
After the War he decided to stay in South Africa he served with the Transvaal Mounted Police Force.

Any ideas where to search?

Thanks Thomas Wheelock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Arthur Wheelock - Royal Artillery 6 years 7 months ago #55151

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Thomas
Welcome to the forum. I dug out my RA CD and trawled through the names. I did find "29583 Gunr. A.Wheelock" down for a medal and two clasps. Unfortunately, the marginal note simply said "RA/RHA". So it was not possible for me to search through all the Battery rolls. There are a lot of them! In searching out these requests, there is always the possibility of going down the wrong track. Proceed with caution.
Perhaps some forum member with access to the commercial sites might follow up "29583 Gunr. A.Wheelock" and a link with your ancestor might be established.
In conclusion, I had a look through the list of Distinguished Conduct Medals (the decoration available to NCOs and men) and there was no entry for "A.Wheelock".
Good luck with your quest.
IL.

Arthur Wheelock - Royal Artillery 6 years 7 months ago #55154

• Wheelock43
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks for getting back to me, this information is great it will help me with my research.

Regards
Thomas

Arthur Wheelock - Royal Artillery 6 years 3 weeks ago #57971

• alaine_lloyd
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Thomas, I have attached Arthur's military records below. Coincidentally I was researching him when I stumbled on your message here. Arthur is a very (very) distant relative of mine. Hope this is of help.
Kind Regards, Alaine Lloyd, Perth, Australia
Attachments:

Arthur Wheelock - Royal Artillery 6 years 3 weeks ago #57974

• Wheelock43
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
This is fantastic, Many thanks and much appreciated.

Arthur Wheelock - Royal Artillery 4 years 6 months ago #66045

• markrusselldennie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thomas hi,

My name is Mark Dennie. I came across Arthur Wheelock by doing my family tree and have the following which may be of assistance:

www.geni.com/people/Rosalie-Robertson/6000000102764640970

1)It is not clear when Rosalie Anne (1879) died as her sister born in 1884 has the same name Rosalie.

2)Rosalie Hearne (1884) marriage to William Nicol Robertson on 06 Aug 1902 at Durban, Natal, South Africa. www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY...3%2F1%3A1%3AKDCG-M5C

3)Baptism of Ada Edith Robertson on 22nd March, 1908 at St. Cyprian Anglican Church, Kimberley, Cape, South Africa. Witnesses were sisters Lily Sayer, Ada Victoria Westbrook and James Tulby. www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ...89W?i=275&cc=1468076

4)Rosalie Hearne divorce from William Nichol Robertson 1913 www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smw...09040D69&DN=00000001

5)Marriage Of Rosalie Hearne (Robertson) to Arthur Wheelock at Kimberley, Cape, South Africa on 16th August, 1913. Age given gives Rosalie a birth date of 1887 (she was born 1884). Witnesses were sister Ada Victoria Westbrook and her husband Edward James Westbrook. www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7...4R6?i=154&cc=1935348

6) Death of Rosalie Hearne (Robertson / Wheelock) in 1959. NAB. (Natal Archive). WHEELOCK, ROSALIE. (BORN HEARN). BORN IN BREDPOST, DORSET, ENGLAND. PR/SP WHEELOCK, ARTHUR. DECEASED ESTATE. www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smw...0CF5D16A&DN=00000002

Should I be able to assist you further in any way, please shout.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Dennie.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.886 seconds