Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant E. S. Armstrong, 89th Coy. Imperial Yeomanry 6 years 7 months ago #55563

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2297
Someone who simply couldn't manage his finances or a bit of a bad lad?

A SERIOUS CASE

WELSH YEOMANRY OFFICER CHARGED WITH THEFT.
Served in Prison with Divorce Papers.

At Bow-street Police-court, London, yesterday, Elliott Sotheby Armstrong, who commanded a section of the Welsh Yeomanry in the South African War, was charged, on remand (before Sir Albert de Rutzen), under the Fugitive Offenders Act, with theft in the Transvaal.
Mr. Sydney Robert Dennis, manager of the Imperial Yeomanry Department at Cox's Bank, Charing Cross, stated that the prisoner formerly had an account there. It was opened in 1900, when he was serving in the Marine Artillery. It became overdrawn to the extent of about £100, and the prisoner's pay, after he became a Yeomanry officer, was paid into the bank, and was annexed to wipe off the deficiency. Consequently no cheques drawn by the prisoner were paid from the end of 1901 up to May, 1902. At the last-mentioned date five cheques were presented through Parr's Bank, acting as agents of the Standard Bank of South Africa, but there was nothing standing to the prisoner's account to meet them with. The account became square in March, 1902, but small cheques nearly exhausted what was afterwards paid in. When the account was closed in November, 1902, there was only 16s. standing to the prisoner's credit. Witness, in reply to the prisoner, said the latter would have been entitled to a special war gratuity of £100 at the end of twelve months if his services were satisfactory. If his services had been ever so satisfactory the prisoner could not have obtained the grant until the middle of May, 1902, at the earliest. As a matter of fact, the War office did not approve.
Prisoner: I want to know why the War Office disapproved.
Witness: They simply instructed us not to issue. The War Office never give any reasons. In reply to further questions, witness said the prisoner's pay was £11 or £12 a month.
Prisoner said that in addition to that there was a camp allowance of 2s. 6d. a day, and 2s. a day for field service. He was also entitled to a special war gratuity of £37 10s. on returning home. He wished to show that if his account had been straight at the bank, and he had obtained the gratuities he expected, he would have had £237 in May, 1902.
The Witness said the daily allowances to which the prisoner referred were paid in South Africa. On the 28th of June, 1901, his passbook was sent to him showing that his account was then overdrawn to the extent of £29. An officer would not be entitled to draw on an allowance he expected until he knew the War Office had sanctioned its payment; but he might reasonably expect to receive it if he knew his commanding officer had issued a certificate.
Sir Albert de Rutzen again remanded the prisoner.
Prisoner: May I apply for bail, sir? Since I have been in prison my wife has taken the opportunity to serve divorce papers on me. I have to enter an appearance before next Monday, otherwise the matter will go against me in default.
Sir Albert de Rutzen: If you can find two sureties in £100 each I will accept them.
Prisoner: I have only one person I can apply to. Will you accept him on the full amount?
Sir Albert de Rutzen: If he makes application to me I will consider it.
Evening Express, Friday 1st January 1904

The London Gazette, 21st March 1899, reported: - The South-East of Scotland Artillery (Southern Division), Elliott Sotheby Armstrong, Gent., to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 22nd March, 1899.

The London Gazette, 16th March 1900, reported: - Royal Garrison Artillery, The undermentioned officers to be Second Lieutenants. Dated 17th March, 1900: - Second Lieutenant Elliott Sotheby Armstrong, from the South-East of Scotland Artillery.

The Surrey Mirror, 5th September 1902 reported that Elliott Sotheby Armstrong, retired lieutenant of the Royal Artillery, was charged with attempting to obtain stamps to the value of £70 from from a Kingston man. The case was further reported in the Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser, of 18th October 1902. Could this be the reason that the War Office wouldn't pay his £100 war gratuity?

The divorce petition of Anne Columba Mary Armstrong is in the National Archives. discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7997775
The following user(s) said Thank You: JustinLDavies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds