Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sergeant B. Bamford, 42nd Company, 12th Battalion IY 6 years 4 months ago #56280

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
According to a press report of 6th November 1900 (South Wales Echo) "The hospital ship Nubia landed at Southampton on Tuesday upwards of 300 invalids from South Africa. There was one death during the voyage - Sergeant Bamford, Imperial Yeomanry." newspapers.library.wales/view/3361597/3361600/46/

Does In Memoriam by S Watt have him dying of pneumonia in the UK, and, if so, does that imply that his body was returned to the UK for burial? Perhaps he died only a day or so away from Southampton?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sergeant B. Bamford, 42nd Company, 12th Battalion IY 6 years 4 months ago #56281

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Berenice

Bamford died 19 October - on the voyage back. Deaths At Sea (FmP) shows the lat & long as 18.55 S, 5.45 E. Google Earth is taking forever to load - you can plot the location of his death and burial.

Steve has a number of deaths as "UK" which were actually on board ship. I think he used an official report for these which must have only been interested in deaths in SA and "not SA", so recorded as "UK".

Regards
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Sergeant B. Bamford, 42nd Company, 12th Battalion IY 6 years 4 months ago #56283

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Thanks for that, Meurig. I shall keep it in mind for any similar cases.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds