Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Henry Malings, Royal Welsh Fusiliers 6 years 2 weeks ago #58155

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2297
A soldier returned from South Africa, who became insane, and the dispute over the cause of his insanity. Was it through a bullet wound to the head, sunstroke, or, as a fellow-soldier's letter home mentioned, enteric fever?

His wife moved from North Wales to live in Southport, presumably after his return, hence the birth of a child [or two?] in Southport. Further research is needed in Southport to try to find why she moved there [relatives? employment?].

F. Horace Rose has an interesting history.
esat.sun.ac.za/index.php/F._Horace_Rose

www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/rose_f_horace

DENBIGHSHIRE BOROUGH LOCAL RESERVE FUND . - Already acknowledged £38 16s 3d, A Friend 2s, Mr H Roberts 2s, Mr Ellis 2s. A sum of 5s per week has been allocated by the committee to the following persons: - Mrs Margaret Ellen Pierce, Mrs E Jones, Mrs Malings, Mrs Grace Jones and Mrs Williams.
Denbighshire Free Press, Saturday 2nd December 1899

A FORMER FREE PRESS EMPLOYEE WITH GENERAL BULLER'S FORCES.

A letter was received a few days ago from Mr Henry Malings, son of Sergt-Major Malings of Rhyl, and who, before he joined the army, was for a length of time engaged at this office (Free Press) as reporter-compositor, but who is now as an army reserve man at the front and took part in the great fight at the Tugela River, as one of the 23rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers attached to General Barton's Brigade. Writing to his wife, the daughter of Mr Abel Davies, Chapel-street, Denbigh, he describes the enthusiastic send off they had, giving interesting details of the voyage and their call at St Vincent. On the way they had physical drills, running parades and all sorts of movements to keep them fit and they were all fed up as much as possible, though like many hundreds of our soldiers he complains bitterly of the quality of the provisions supplied to them, which he describes as more fit for convicts being sent out to Botany Bay, than for soldiers who were giving their services and perhaps their lives for their country. [There will be a big row when the war is over about the treatment in this respect of hundreds of our brave fellows going out to South Africa. - Editor] Capetown and Durban he describes as splendid places and very desirable residences. Amongst the other particulars which are not of a private nature he says: - "We expect to be sent to relieve Ladysmith immediately when we disembark, so we shall have plenty of shooting to do. There were quite a number of prisoners on board a boat at Capetown. I shall not be able to write after this for some time, perhaps, so kindly get the Liverpool Echo; you will see all our movements from that; and if you don't see my name and number in the list of casualties you will know that I am all right. You must write to me as often as you can, for I am bound to get all letters sooner or later. Pritchard and Ike Williams (two Denbighites) are on board and quite well."....."Before you get this we shall have fought two or three important battles, but I am trusting to Providence to come out of all alive." - Fortunately, so far as that battle was concerned, his hopes were fully realised, and he came off free, as did the Welsh battalions as a whole, as Barton's brigade do not seem to have been at a point where they got into the thick of the fight. W e wish him equal good luck so far as immunity from injury is concerned throughout the war and a safe return.
Denbighshire Free Press, Saturday 30th December 1899

LETTERS FROM THE FRONT.

Mrs Hoole, Greenfield Place, received the following letter from her son Fred who is on active service in South Africa. - Dear Father, Sister and Brothers, - Just a few lines hoping it will find you quite well as it leaves me at present. We left Ladysmith camp on the 15th by train and arrived at Durban next morning we had to stay there a few hours waiting for the boat. We sailed out in the afternoon on board the Hawarden Castle for the Cape and landed there on the night of the 18th and we have been on board ever since waiting orders. I cannot say where we are going to, we can't get to know anything as they are keeping it quiet. All our Brigade, that is the Union Brigade, are in harbour. There seems to be a lot of troops here as we can see lots of camps. Some of our Division went to East London and have gone up to the front. I think we shall be going soon to join Lord Roberts. We had a very nice passage from Durban and it has done us all a lot of good. There was a lot of sickness when we were at Modder Spruit camp. Our brigade lost about 37 died with fever and dysentery. There was also about 150 then in hospital. All the Rhyl lads are very well except Mailings. We left him behind in hospital with fever. I don't know how much longer this is going to last but I don't expect I shall be home much before Christmas. Did you receive the Queen's chocolate box allright. I think I told you in the letter that I had a letter from Harry and Jim and I have answered them both, Jim said he had sent me a box of cigarettes but I have not received them. There are many a hundred parcels and letters lost and delayed. I think I have told you all now. I will write when we get up country but can't say when. Remember me to all, from your affectionate son. - FRED.
Rhyl Record and Advertiser, Saturday 19th May 1900

BIRTHS.
MALINGS . - February 21st, at 52, Land Houses, Crossens, near Southport, the wife of Mr H Malings (formerly of Rhyl) of a daughter.
Denbighshire Free Press, Saturday 1st March 1902

Patriotism and Its Reward.

The sad case of Harry Mailings, a Welsh Fusilier reservist and ex-journalist, and now a pauper inmate of Denbigh Lunatic Asylum, furnishes another instance of the inaptitude of the Government to deal honourably and fairly with the unfortunate soldiers, who, through the misfortunes of war, become in various ways, disabled for life. At one time, Mailings was on the literary staff of a Denbigh paper, with a promising career before him. He eventually joined the Royal Welch Fusiliers, and served seven years in the piping times of peace. Being on the reserve, he rejoined his old regiment in South Africa. Struck on the head with a spent bullet, the young Welshman was sent to hospital, and subsequently invalided home. The bullet wound, sad to relate, affected his brain, and at the St. Asaph Guardians' meeting of Friday last, the report of the Asylum authorities on the case was read. The poor fellow has a wife and family dependent upon him, and it is a query as to what is to become of them. From this, arises the broader question we have already referred to. The deplorable inaction of the Government in this matter is being very plainly put before the nation by a London contemporary; and it is not too much to expect them to take such steps as will prevent the thousands of returning soldiers, or at least a large percentage, if work is not forthcoming, from seeking refuge in the Workhouse or otherwise being compelled to accept "outside" pauper bounty. A Government capable of spending three millions a week during the war, can surely afford to set apart a large sum as the nucleus of a fund for disabled soldiers rendered incapable, physically or mentally, from following any vocation. If not, the next war will witness a big slump in patriotism.
The Welsh Coast Pioneer, Friday 19th September 1902

ST. ASAPH BOARD OF GUARDIANS.

THE STRANGE DOINGS OF A RHYL LUNATIC.
It was reported that a man named Henry Malings, a reservist, well known in Rhyl and Denbigh, had been removed to the North Wales Lunatic Asylum, and become chargeable to the Union, having been found wandering about in an unsound state of mind. He went through the late war in South Africa, and during one engagement was struck on the head by a bullet or other missile. Accompanying this notification was a letter stating that man suffered from delusions. He had asserted that he was divinely inspired, and would not work as the Almighty would provide for him for life. He had also written to the King asking him to provide him with a nice house and a nice wife. If His Majesty did not do this the Almighty would burn the world to a cinder.

The Chairman regarded it as a very sad case.
Rhyl Record and Advertiser, Saturday 20th September 1902

St. Asaph Board of Guardians.

The Case of Henry Malings, Reservist.

CORRESPONDENCE WITH THE WAR OFFICE.
WAS HE WOUNDED?
Mr Barker, clerk to the North Wales Counties Lunatic Asylum, at Denbigh, submitted correspondence which had taken place between himself and the War Office, Col. Mainwaring, commanding officer of the 23rd Regimental District, and the Paymaster at Wrexham, with reference to Harry Malings, an inmate of the asylum, and a Welsh Fusilier Reservist, who was admitted as being of unsound mind, in consequence, it was alleged, of a wound sustained by him in South Africa.

Mr Barker pointed out to the War Office that Malings had been chosen from the Reserves to go to South Africa, and that whilst serving with his regiment was wounded in the head by a bullet.

Colonel Mainwaring wrote stating that Malings had been invalided home, and was granted a pension for twelve months conditionally. There was no record that he was wounded.

A lady resident in Southport wrote to the War Office that Malings' wife had applied for relief to a society, of which she was secretary, and remarked that Mrs Malings should not be deprived of any pension benefits.

The Paymaster at Wrexham asked whether the Guardians would be content to allow the pension to go to the wife, and forego the expenditure of keeping him in the asylum.

Mr Mostyn Williams said, from a conversation he had with Malings and his father, it appeared that the former received a bullet wound whilst wearing his helmet. The bullet did not penetrate the man's head, but it stunned him, and the father contended that the blow had affected his brain, because since he had been invalided from the Army, he had been very eccentric in his behaviour. The Guardians had certainly no wish to deprive Mrs Malings and her child of the pension, but, at the same time, the union should not be responsible for his maintenance. He should be looked after by the War Office.

It was decided to send a reply to that effect to the War Office.
The Welsh Coast Pioneer, Friday 17th October 1902

St. Asaph Guardians' Quarrel with the War Office.

MORE CRITICISMS OF THE WAR OFFICE AND ITS WAYS.

Under the above heading a fortnight ago we reported a long discussion in reference to the now very well known case of Henry Malings, late of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and now a patient in the North Wales Lunatic Asylum at Denbigh. At last Friday's meeting of the St. Asaph Board of Guardians a further batch of correspondence relating to the case was read. The first letter was from Mr F Horace Rose, from whom a long letter was read at the previous meeting expressing his willingness to hand over to the Board or direct to Mrs Malings whatever sum might be realised as the result of an appeal on her behalf to the people of Ladysmith. Mr Rose now stated that he was a journalist, and that as such he was going out to South Africa to join the staff of certain papers there. He could not guarantee any result of his appeal, but his success recently in obtaining by similar means close upon £20 for the Fresh Air Fund gave him hopes of raising a substantial sum for Mrs Malings' benefit.

The Chairman (Mr R Ll Jones) thought they were now in possession of very satisfactory credentials so far as Mr Rose was concerned, and they could but wish his appeal success.

It was decided to inform Mr Rose (who stated that his address in South Africa would be c.o. J G Fraser, Bloemfontein, Orange River Colony) that in the event of any money being received from him the Board would see that it was handed over to Mrs Malings, or he might send it to her direct.

The Chairman then read the War Office's reply to the Clerk's last letter. This stated that no record could be found that the man had been wounded whilst on service in South Africa. It appeared that the Guardians were satisfied upon their own enquiries that the man met with the cause of his insanity during the war, and if they would forward medical and other proof of the fact to the War Office the Secretary of State would consider whether a higher rate of pension than the present (1s a day) could be allowed.

Commenting on the letter, the Chairman said it was a shame that a soldier who had been on active service should suffer through the negligence of the War Office, whose place it was to see that there were sufficient doctors on the field of battle to attend to the wounded.

Both Mr Perks and Mr Mostyn Williams, who were present at the enquiry made by the Medical Officer, asserted that from the facts elicited it appeared that Malings was struck on the head by a spent bullet and rendered unconscious, although the bullet left no visible wound, and no doctor was summoned to his assistance at the time.

Mr Frimston said they also gathered that Malings was wounded in the jaw, and when he arrived at Rhyl he was suffering from paralysis of the jaw.

The Chairman said the War Office had made a great deal of fuss about paying an incapacitated soldier's pension. It was a pity they were not as careful in connection with the purchase of horses for the war, otherwise they might have saved the country millions of pounds. Though they knew full well that thousands of horses and other things totally unfit for use had been purchased and sent to the seat of war, yet they had not so much as prosecuted the persons responsible for the purchase of those useless animals. Having regard to the apparent indifference of the War Office so far as those robberies were concerned, he could not but contrast it with the manner in which they had dealt with Malings' case.

Various other letters were read, showing what amounts had been received by Mrs Malings during the past two quarters, and in one of these she stated that it had hurt her feelings to find from one of the papers that the Guardians, at their last meetings, appeared to doubt her word.

The Chairman: We are not responsible for what the papers state.

The Clerk said that in reply to that he had written to Mrs Malings, assuring her that the Guardians did not question the accuracy of anything she had stated.

Another letter was read, stating that authority had been given to the paymaster of the regiment to which Malings belonged to pay Mrs Malings the whole of his pension for the present quarter, also the amount of the stoppages made in the December quarter.

The Chairman: From that it seems that the War Office were not sure whether we would claim any of it in aid of his maintenance in the asylum. They have been very slow in finding out that we had no such intention.

The Clerk said the War Office also wanted a certificate of Malings' identity, signed by a magistrate or other qualified person.

Mr T Evans characterised such a demand as red tapeism and nothing else.

It having been suggested that a claim should be made upon the War Office in respect to Malings' maintenance in the asylum, Mr Frimston remarked : They may retain the pension money.

The Chairman : How can they, when they profess not to know whether he is in the asylum or not? They are about the rummiest people I ever came across (laughter).

After further discussion it was decided, on the motion of Mr S Perks, seconded by Mr Edwin Morgan, that a report be sent to the War Office to the effect that the Guardians considered that any further particulars, besides those already furnished as to how Malings met with the cause of his insanity, were quite unnecessary; also to make a claim upon the War Office for the cost of Malings' maintenance in the asylum from the day he entered.
Rhyl Journal, Saturday 7th March 1903

The Hard Case of a Reservist.
A letter was read from Mrs Malings, of Southport, the wife of the unfortunate Reservist now a patient in the North Wales Lunatic Asylum after having been on active service in South Africa, thanking the Guardians for their efforts in getting the War Office to provide for her and her child. A short time ago she received the back pay due to her husband, amounting to £7 3s 4d, which at the time was a Godsend. She also understood she was to receive conditionally for twelve months a pension of 1s per day, £4 11s of which (representing one quarter's payments) had been sent to her in advance. She was grateful for all the help she had received from different quarters, particularly the Mayoress of Southport and the administrators of Lloyd's Patriotic Fund.

The clerk stated that he had sent to the War Office all the information he had been able to gather respecting Private Malings' case, and this no doubt was a result. He had received from the War Office a letter stating that the information he had furnished them with would receive every attention.
Rhyl Journal, Saturday 16th May 1903

Private Malings' Case : Practical Sympathy of Durban Volunteers.
The Chairman reminded the Board that some little time ago, when they had under consideration the case of Private Henry Malings, a reservist of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers who was on active service during the South African war and who is now a patient in the North Wales Lunatic Asylum, Denbigh, they also received a letter from Mr F Horace Rose, a journalist who was about to proceed from London to South Africa. In that letter he intimated his intention of starting an appeal in South Africa on behalf of Malings and his family. The result of that appeal was a letter from Mr Rose enclosing a draft of the value of £7 18s as a contribution by the Natal Volunteers.

Mr Rose's letter was as follows: - c/o J G Fraser, P. O. Box 250, Bloemfontein, O. R. C., South Africa, April 18, 1903. Charles Grimsley, Esq., Clerk to the Union, St. Asaph, North Wales. Dear Sir, - Re Henry Malings - In reference to previous correspondence on this subject, I now beg to hand you a draft on the London offices of the Standard Bank of South Africa for the sum of £7 18s, being the amount subscribed for Malings and his wife by members of a Durban Volunteer Corps in response to an appeal from me. I regret that the amount is not larger, but I hope it will prove at all events sufficient to procure a few extra comforts for Malings, at the same time leaving a small balance for the use of his wife. I think, as it was really her treatment by the War office which occasioned the appeal, the wishes of the subscribers would be met by allocating most of the money to her; but I have no doubt you will be able to make a satisfactory arrangement with her yourself, and I therefore leave the matter in your hands. I have informed Mrs Malings that the amount has been remitted and have asked her to apply to you for same. kindly acknowledge receipt of the draft to my above address. The second of exchange will follow by next mail. I remain, yours faithfully, F HORACE ROSE.

The Chairman, in proposing a vote of thanks to Mr Rose and the subscribers to the contribution forwarded by him, said he felt sure the Guardians thoroughly appreciated that gentleman's action in the matter, as did also Private Malings and his wife. It was proof of the great interest taken by the South African Volunteers in this unfortunate man's case.

The Vice-Chairman seconded, and the motion was carried unanimously.

A letter was read from Mrs Malings, addressed from Southport, stating that she had also had a letter from Mr Rose, and that she left it to the Guardians to decide how the money should be allocated.

After discussion it was resolved that the Clerk write to Dr Cox, the superintendent of the asylum, asking him to consult the wishes of Malings in the matter.
Rhyl Journal, Saturday 30th May 1903

The War Office and the Incapacitated Soldier.
A letter was read from the War Office to the effect that no evidence could be found to show that Private H Malings had been wounded while serving with the Welsh Fusiliers in the relief of Ladysmith, and regretting that no higher rate of pension than that now given could be awarded.

After some discussion, Mr Edwin Morgan moved that the War Office be written and asked whether they were prepared to admit that Malings had been wounded at any time in South Africa, and this was carried.

The Clerk was also instructed to endeavour to interview the young man's father.
The Welsh Coast Pioneer, Friday 26th June 1903

Can there possibly be any mystery about the wounding of the Welsh Fusilier reservist Malings, who is in Denbigh Asylum? The War Office were always hazy about the matter, and appeared dubious as to whether the man was really wounded whilst on active service. Now, after apparently making the fullest enquiries into his case, at the request of the Guardians of St. Asaph, they state they can find no evidence to show that the unfortunate man was wounded whilst assisting to relieve Ladysmith. Under the circumstances they cannot give a higher rate of pension than at present allowed. Surely the medical men can say accurately whether the man was actually wounded or suffered from sunstroke.
The Welsh Coast Pioneer, Friday 26th June 1903

IN MEMORIAM.
MALINGS. - In loving memory of Samuel Redvers, the beloved son of Henry and Mary Malings, who departed this life August 31st, 1904, aged 2 years and 7 months; and was interred at Southport Cemetery on September 3rd.

I know you feel it hard to part
With me, the darling of your heart;
But only trust in Jesus' name,
And you shall see your child again.

7, Butts Lane, Blowick, Southport.
Denbighshire Free Press, Saturday 2nd September 1905

The two birth and death notices don't match up. Samuel Redvers Malings died aged 2 years and 7 months on August 31st 1904, so would have been born in, or around January 1902. But the earlier notice, of the birth of a daughter, gave her birth date as February 21st 1902. Two different families of Malings living in the Southport area, or an incorrect date? Samuel Redvers is definitely in Southport Cemetery, but there's no headstone, any inscriptions are on kerbstones around the grave. I'll ask the cemetery office who, if anyone, else is interred along with him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Henry Malings, Royal Welsh Fusiliers 6 years 1 week ago #58230

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is fascinating, very much the local regiment and one that has always interested me more than any other, with the exception of the Manchester's, many thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Henry Malings, Royal Welsh Fusiliers 6 years 1 week ago #58232

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
An absorbing post, Berenice. Many thanks for posting.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds